Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Value of a Ruger Pistol

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbLover, Oct 2, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just ended up with a Ruger pistol after some dealings. It's a Ruger New Model Blackhawk. 357 Maximum Caliber. (I've never heard of that, but that's what the weapon & ammo say.) About a 6 1/2 barrel. Blue in finish. Pistol is in 8 out of 10 condition. Single action only.Any idea what is worth is or wher I cna go to check other than the local dealers?

TIA

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's priceless if it saves your or your loved ones life.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Not really what I was getting at Paul. I've got about 6 other guns for that :D

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might check on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica for the same type of pistol.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

go to some off the gun selling web sites and look. like www.auctionarms.com and such. I just remember that one from a friend at work looking real regular. I look at some magazines on line at www.primedia.com and in the top right is a drop down menu with thier magazines listed. when which ever come up on there screen describing the magazine in the lower right is a spot that says go to this site. And i think they got several gun magazines on there that might give you a link to where to look at. Just a thought not into guns much. Happy with just the couple in the house.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

They are getting rare in good shape. Only Ruger and Dan Wesson ever made 357 Maximum revolvers. The Maximum can chamber 38 special, 357 mag and 357 max. If you did not know the difference between a 38 special and a 357 mag is the cartridge is .3 inch longer. They added .3 inch to a mag to make the Maximum.

The reason they are getting rare is they had a problem with the full power cartridge. Escaping gases tending to wear at the top strap. There were some cases of the straps being cut.

The other reason is some custom handgun builders use the frame to build .475 and .500 maximums. The .500 maximum is truely a Hand Cannon. I read where a rogue bull indian elephant was killed with a sledgehammer round to the head. They pulled the bullet out and it was 4 FEET back in the neck.

PM if you decide to sell it.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the great info. I'll most like try to trade it off at a gun store. Always wanted a S&W 686, so may see if I can get one.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH MAN! those things are JUNK,,,,,tell ya what, i'll PM you my address and you can just dispose of it here,,, :D

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Being as I;m moving to Tucson, I can deliver it most of the way there for the right price & I won't even charge fuel :D

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a 4" SS .357 Model 686 not long ago. I was never much of an S&W fan, until now. Beautiful, accurate pistol. Got a Fobus holster to go with it, too!!

John

11. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My dad's got one of those. I didn't realize it was sorta rare.. :laugh: