Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

value of pickup needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jun 3, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I''m in the buying field for something reliable, strongly built, and under 4K. Found a '88 3/4 ton Chevy, std cab, 2WD for $3500. This is a truck with a known history ever since new and was well maintained and driven like it was a precious material. It has the 350 and granny 4 speed with 3.73 gears, a 14b sf, and cheyenne pkg. No frills here. It also has 230K miles, but has been well taken care of. It has a slight rear main seal leak but everything else looks cherry. Engine purrs nicely and the truck drives well. A little slack in the steering, although not as bad as my current ride. So what do yall think? Worth the dough? I figure if the engine blows, I'll put in a 350 crate. Everything else seems relatively bulletproff. Also does anybody know the approx gas mileage this thing will see? It wont be going on any big trips, but will be used to haul things around town, pull trailers, and drag my blazer to the trailhead on distant trailrides. We have a prism for commuting and long trips.

So????

Oh yeah, this truck will be replacing a '96 F150 eddie bauer with 6cyl, 5spd, 3.55 and a LOT of problems.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

bryan

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

2. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

If there's no rust, sounds like a fair price. I'm a thinkin about 16 MPG if you got the 4 barrel carb....as long as you keep your foot out of it. Probably 14 MPG with the 2 barrel, which has larger primary barrels than the primarys on the 4 barrel.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that mileage would be ok since this is mainly to be an in town rig, with occasional trailer towing use. Anybody else on reliability, ect? I've never really considered something this high on mileage for my d/d. Thanks 89!

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx
    "I'd Rather Be a Fencepost in Texas than the King of Tennessee" -Chris Hall
    TEXAS COUNTRY PRIDE
    </font color=red>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If its an 88 it should have the TBI shouldn't it? 16 mpg sounds about right with no OD, you might see a bit more. My Jimmy was pulling 14 on the freeway and its bigger. taller and about as aerodynamic as a brick...plus i don't have fool injection.[​IMG]

A buddy of mine has an 89 1/2 ton with the 4.3 and his has similar mileage and is still going strong. Its also a work truck but he does take pretty good care of it.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Sounds high for the milage, but if it is rust free clean with good paint price is ok.