Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

value of stock 454 vs built SB400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A guy I know has a '77 Suburban with a SB400 in it. It currently has about 700-900 miles since it was last rebuilt. It's .040 over, has flat tops, and a decent cam. It has an Edelbrock intake and all the chrome accessories; oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, bracketry, etc. He has always wanted a big block though.

I have a 454 in a '75 Suburban that is completely stock. I dont know the mileage on it, but it has always run good and had decent power. Externally it is filthy looking. It uses some oil, but not a whole lot. For the application he uses (mud racing) it would need to be gone through.

I thought about offering a trade straight across. But would I be ripping him off; or would I be fair in offering a trade like that?

I already have enough big blocks, and wouldnt mind running a SB400 in a Blazer of mine.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It might be worth it just to have the rebuilt engine. You will notice a loss of tork. There is a guy here who took out his built 400 in favor of a mild 454 and he went to winning the mud races in his class. I used to beat him before that. I am going to do the same this winter. It may not matter as much for you though.

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I didn't think anyone could have TOO many big blocks! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Seriously, shoot him an offer. The worst he could say is no. I wish you were closer, I'd swap you.

I have had good luck with 400's. They are have great torque without the extra weight. But all else being equal, I'd stick w/the 454. Just my $.02.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

the 400 is just like any other small block chevy: cheap to maintain. a thought to keep in mind for down the road. and depending on the year and location, its emissions exempt /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    ryan