Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

value opinion on good old cast iron double door wood burning "stove" ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R77K10, Apr 27, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

need opinions

good old heavy iron, two-door, single pipe vent, flat top, wood burning "stove" thats around 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep and 3 foot tall, in good shape nothing broken or missing

what would be low and high current value on such a thing

just curious cuz ive kinda always wanted a wood burning fixture in the building- ut not just a little pot bellied one-

and a friend has this two door "stove" as ddescribed above and im considering taking it as partial trade in his purchase of a truck from me right now

thanks for anything

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hard to say...

Its hard to say just what its worth...I'd look on craigslist or a similar place and see what the asking price for a stove like yours is..I've seen them sell for 100-500 bucks online,but have also seen them go for 25 bucks at yard sales--and I've found a few nice ones out in the rubbish,and in the metal pile at the landfill and scrapyards here..

I have 55 gallon drums made into stoves,but they will need new barrels soon--used them for at least ten years..they heat the shop nicely,but the cast iron stoves are better at retaining heat longer,and of course last much longer..I have a small cast iron "box" stove in both our house and my shop--the one in my shop is in storage at the moment..

I had several people offer me cash for it,but for the 50 bucks I was offered,I'd just assume keep it..having a source of free heat is priceless ,with todays fuel prices..and its peace of mind to know the pipes wont freeze and crack if we lose power in the winter..

The woman next door had an old kitchen range wood stove,like the Waltons ,that her mom had in her house forever..I kept telling her to get it apraised,it was sitting in a delapidated garage for years..they tore it down last year,and also demolished the house,and built a new modular home..I heard her smashing it to bits with a sledge hammer not long after!--because "one of the legs broke off"...:surepal: ..A guy I know saw it before she smashed it,and said it was worth 400+ bucks!...stupid beech!--I'll never understand women.....:dunno: :screwy: .....

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Man, that range with the wood was prolly worth upwards of $600, or more. I really dig old wood stoves, pot bellied or otherwise. Like diesel said, they can go for up to $500, or as low as "Get it out of here and it's yours." If you post a pic, I could tell you what I would pay for it. Generally, the more 'ornate' it is, the higher price it would command.

4. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

yeh i need to get batteries for the camera and post a couple pics. hmm

but yeah as with anything else the price could technically be anything from free -on up

but i have to get some idea of a fair value so i can make up my mind whether to incorporate it into this deal with him and the truck im selling him

this one is kind of ornate, i mean its not real basic but then its not real fancy either, i like the double swing out doors, and theyre pretty good sized doors, alot bigger than pot bellied door or a wood burning furnace door

but it sits directly ont he ground so its kinda pretty low, you know

but its not small

so hmm

i also would only want it if i could trust it on a wooden structure floor inside the building here,