Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Adjustment question...which one is the intake or exhaust..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Oct 2, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need to double check my valve adjustment after changing heads. Below is the procedure to adjust but I'm not
    sure which is the intake for #1. Lets say I'm facing the engine from front, is the closest lifter to me the intake?

with #1 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #6 Intake Valve
    with #8 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #5 Intake Valve
    with #4 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #7 Intake Valve
    with #3 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #2 Intake Valve
    with #6 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #1 Intake Valve
    with #5 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #8 Intake Valve
    with #7 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #4 Intake Valve
    with #2 cylinder Intake Valve at full valve lift .... Adjust #3 Intake Valve

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Just look at your exhaust manifold. You can plainly see which vavles lines up with it.
    good luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    bob

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They go eiieeiie

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They go eiieeiie

[/ QUOTE ]

i amlost started singing old mcdonald /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Ok, is the eiieeiie fromm the front on both sides or from the drivers side and reverse order from the passenger side... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Both sides, back to front or front to back, the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

It's a palindrome... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i found it easier to have someone bump the starter until both valves on #1 were closed, then bump it again to make sure they don't move, then do those, then repeat for 357 then 2468

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, I got it done. I had my girlfriend bump the motor while I followed the pattern to tighten above. Before I put the intake back on, I bumped it to #1 TDC so life remains easier /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

thanks for all the help