Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve adjustments with roller rockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I really don't want to mess up the cam in the new 400 I just started running a month ago.

I have full roller rockers on it. We set up the valve adjustment on the stand, and it was just fine. Then about 75 miles into it's new life, they started ticking a bit, and kept getting worse.

So, a week ago. I readjust everything twice. Fire it up, and it's ok. The rocker arm locks had held fine, but most of the rockers had to be tightened down another turn or so.

Now, its slowly starting to click again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If I just keep having to tighten them down considering they arent coming loose, soon the cam is going to be flat.

Anyone else had experience doing valve adjustments with roller rockers?

2. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

your not pulling the studs out are you? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    are you runnning a full roller cam
    is it a solid lifter or hydrolic /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Are they the same ones loosening up?
    That's an indication of a cam that is going south.
    If it is different ones then the studs are pulling out.
    You definately should not have to keep dinkin with em.
    I'm not sure if roller rockers have a problem with this but...
    The guy I scored a set of rollers from ditched em because he pulled the studs loose from his roundy round car right after he put em in, although he had a pretty radical cam in it that was most likely the problem.
    But to be on the safe side I went ahead and yanked the studs out of the ones I got fom you and am installing screw in ones.
    You would be suprised at how easy they pop out.
    I don't see how rollers can put anymore leverage on em but I am taking no chances with this plant giving me anymore greif once I get it running.

4. mountainexplorer

It's a hydraulic cam. Comp 292 duration. The studs aren't pulling out cause I put screw in studs and guide plates in the heads.

These rockers were on a 383 and the guys who ran it didn't adjust the valves right and flattened a cam. I had figured it was just their own stupidity. But I forgot to factor in that I'm stupid, too. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Maybe I'll just have someone who knows what they are doing help me.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i adjust them the same way as normal rockers.i have not had proclems yet with mine.ive had em in for 4 years.about 30,000 miles or so.with hydraulic lifters all you have to do is loosen the rocker nut till it starts clapping.tighten it then to the point when it stops ticking.tighten 3/4 of a turn more.you are done.put valve cover on.i did this with mine after i changed heads and have not had a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. highrider_44s

hows the oil preassure low or no oil preassure will make the valves rattle /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifare you bending pushrods
    do you have the right amount of valve spring preassure your not getting valve float are you /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    i'm just throwing some ideas out there for you
    you'd think that hydrilic cams should set up fairly easy with no problems.
    are they 1.5 rocker or a 1.6 rocker
    maby coil bind /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. mountainexplorer

Pushrods are all fine. It's a new oil pump, though my gauge isn't working right. The heads have Z28 springs, and I they are 1.5 rockers.

8. highrider_44s

i would get the oil preassure gauge working then if the preassure checks out then maby check the oil for sings of metal then check that the studs arn't loosining off make sure you have the right length push rods i asume you have the full roller rockers that are adjusted by a alen key and a wrench make sure that they are locking and not backing off
    if you have the other rockers that use the stock nuts maby repalce the nuts with new ones if every thing checks out i don't know what else to suggest. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What kind of pushrods are you running? My fried had a pushrod go south on him, he ended up replacing the cam and found on assembly that a pushrod was bad. The ball on the end wore off.

10. mountainexplorer

All the pushrods are new ones that came with the motor when it was a longblock. Only thing I did was put different heads on the motor, and put the roller rockers on. They are the type with the allen head locks... those blue annodized ones. Not sure what brand.
    [​IMG]

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know if they adjust the same as mine.i have the comp cams roller rocker (tips only).hope it works out.looks like a nice setup on there.i run edelbrock dual valve springs also.hope you figure it out.if you have hydraulic lifters,you should adjust it the way i said to.it is by the book. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifsolid lifters you have to do one at a time.doing the adjustment as each valve closes.when each valve is fully closed when rotating the crank shaft,you have to adjust so the push rods cannot spin by hand.then torque down another 3/4 of a turn.and then you will have the solid lifter adjusted. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif