Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve cover gaskets?? What are the best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have to replace my Valve cover gaskets way too often. Always leaking. I have heard someone makes a gasket with steel imbedded in between rubber gaskets. Anyone know the brand. Tell me what is the best. Thanks.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Check the www.summitracing.com website. They should have what you want. I've always had good luck with Fel-Pro stuff.

Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Black RTV Silicone[​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Summit has the gaskets you are talking about, they are like 45 bucks. They are made by Earls. I use some thicker Chrome Valve covers and the wide spreader plates with them. Use some over the counter rubber valve cover gaskets and cleaned the heads real good. This cured my problems.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

An old fella taught me something bout that, take the valve cover and a small ball peen hammer . Turn the cover upside down and tap the bolt holes out. Ya see after so many times of tightening down the bolts the hole flairs out towards the bottom and it does not allow the cover to tighten the gasket all around. Now then get some RTV, I use the blue stuff, and draw a bead around the cover where the gasket sets.Place the gasket on the cover and squeeze it in place. Wipe the excess on the top side of the gasket. Then draw a bead on the gasket and let it set,clean the surface og the engine as best you can. Then place the valve cover on the engine. The bolts do not have to be tightned down till you see gasket come out from under the cover, that is what causes the problem in the first place. Tighten them down till you feel the resistance then go another 1/2 turn and that should do it. Drive a few miles then recheck the bolts. That should stop all the leaking. Works on my K5 and the Harley and the Porsche.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

6. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I had to buy some new ones the other day. I found some mr gasket ones that are 5/16" thick. They were 3 dollars more than stock, and good so far. I also got valve cover spreaders to help. I dont agree with using that RTV junk. All it does is make the gasket slippery, thats not good. I havent used RTV on anything in years and nothing has leaked.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

7. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Actually, I only use the RTV on the valve cover. Lay a bead in the valve cover, lay the gasket in, then put the valve cover on the head dry. I can take mine off all I want and when put back on, they don't leak. Get the tall hand twist-able vavle cover screws. You have to check them every week or two, but they work great.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks guys...

Hey Eagle86K5, it sounds like we are two peas in a pod. I have a 78 K5 Blazer, 1997 Suzuki RM 125, and a BMW!

I thought I was the only redneck in a yuppie car [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Gulp.....egads I have been found out....yet I am too old for the yuppie business....more like old hippie....will turn 47 im May. And I was at the original Woodstock.last thing I remember on the first day was"Here man try this Electric wine..." It was downhill from there...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

10. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Use cast aluminum valve covers. They are rigid enough to distribute the load of only 4 bolts out across the whole gasket. Most of them have small tabs to keep the gasket from squashing out. I use the cheapest gasket I can find and they never leak.
    CB