Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Cover Gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, May 30, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Looks like the Jimmy needs some new valve cover gaskets. Any particular kind as opposed to another. I work at Autozone so I have access to Fel-Pro. Is the job pretty straight foward as far as gettin the covers off, like do I have to move anything big out of the way? Doesnt look like it but just want to make sure. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Yep, pull the old ones off and slap a new gasket in. May have to move a vaccumm line. Should have no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

as far as gaskets go u can't beat the ones that are made out of the rubber like stuff & have the metal in side them. kinda pricey but u can use them over & over.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i went with the cork ones the last time. bit of gasket maker on both sides and not one drop has leaked.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your profile shows that you have a 90 model. Does it still have the centerbolt heads??? The gaskets on those things seem to last forever since they're made out of a silicone rubber. Are you sure that's where the leak is coming from?

6. daleearnhardt01

Well the whole left side of the motor is wet from oil. I noticed it today when I was under it changing the oil. Im just assuming its the vc gaskets. The motor has 177k on it. Whatcha think?

Opps forgot to answer your original question..Yes it has center bolt heads..

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is only one name in gaskets. Fel-Pro.

9. HarryH3

Check to make sure that the bolts are tight. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Those gaskets are reusable and will last a very long time as long as they haven't been damaged. The sealing surface on the centerbolt heads is also raised considerably higher than on the early style heads, to prevent oil from pooling against the gasket area. It's pretty rare for them to leak.

Also:
    [ QUOTE ]
    I noticed it today when I was under it changing the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did you see oil on the upper part of the engine also, or just on the bottom?

10. daleearnhardt01

Yeah I meant standing up under truck I noticed oil all on the side of the block and when I put the truck back down I looked closer and you can see it on top of the covers and going down the side of the motor. Its worse on the left side than the right. Ill tighten them up tommorow and see what happens. Thanks for the help man.

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Be sure not to overtighten

12. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Be sure not to overtighten

[/ QUOTE ]
    GM even protected us from that issue with the center bolt valve cover design. The bolts are designed so that they stop going into the head before they can crush/bend the valve cover or damage the gasket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. daleearnhardt01

So does it sound like its the valve covers? One member mentioned blow-by and I can understand with 177k on the clock its possible but would the whole side of the motor be covered in oil? Looks like some is coming off the back side too, the inspection cover was wet as well. There is no loss in power or anything of that nature. I pulled the oil cap off and couldnt feel much of anything against my hand with the motor running? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Get some good degreaser castrol or such.
    Go to car wash.
    Hose engine with degreser and let sit.
    wash off engine.
    Drive for a bit and see where the leak is coming from.
    Or toss in some oil dye and run it and see where it is coming from.

15. HarryH3

Oil dripping from the inpection cover could be coming from the rear main seal or from a leak at the rear of the intake manifold.

Cleaning the engine and then checking to see where the leak originates is excellent advice. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Changing the rear main seal on that engine is a cinch.........once you get the transmission removed. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

dont waste your money on the cork gaskets....pieces of [darn]! buy the rubber ones, youll be very happy in the long run /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    dont waste your money on the cork gaskets....pieces of [darn]! buy the rubber ones, youll be very happy in the long run /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    He has centerbolt valve covers. The gaskets are made from a very soft and pliable silicone rubber that fits into a pocket in the edges of the cover, which holds them in place. I'd venture to guess that no one even makes a cork gasket for those heads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif