Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Cover Gaskets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Dec 18, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

<font color=orange>How hard is it to change these? What all is involved? Any tips are appreciated</font color=orange>

[​IMG]

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Replacing them is the easy part,, keeping them from leaking MAY be a problem. On my 78 I can take them on and off all day long with no sealant of any kind on the head side and they wont leak. On my 85,, I had to seal the crap out of the head side,, took me 3 days to get it to stop leaking.
    Use black RTV silicone between the covers and the gaskets,, then nothing on the head side unless it/they leak.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haines,Alaska

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The real trick on pre-86 small blocks is making certain that the valve cover seal area is FLAT before installing the new gasket. The valve cover bolts tend to cup the metal right around them over time. You need to lay the edge of the valve cover upside down, on a flat piece of steel and carefully tap the cupped areas back to flat again. Then install the new gasket.

The '86 and newer heads have a higher ridge (so oil isn't sitting right against the gasket continuously) and use a silicone rubber seal that's contained within guides on the center bolt valve covers. Leaks in these are rare compared to the earlier style.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Be sure not to over-torque the valve cover nuts when you put them back on also. Over-torquing them will cause the gasket to slide out. I can't remember what the exact torque spec is but it's not much. Just use RTV black silicone on the valve cover side of the gasket, not the head side, and make sure both the head and valve cover surfaces are clean. With any luck they won't leak.

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got fed up trying to keep my tin valve covers from leaking, and my brother in law had a set of really old Edelbrock finned aluminum valve covers lying around, so I installed them. Nice flat gasket surface and no more leaks. They even look kinda cool.[​IMG]
    Aluminum valve covers and Orange paint add at least 50 HP don't ya know [​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

all of the above ideas are good also use a felpro gasket(rubber) not cork they work better in my opinion

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud