Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve cover leakage!!!!???!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Apr 22, 2001.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey All,
    I've ahd this problems with my valve covers leaking alot. So now I have to put oil in every couple of weeks and there is the commom burt oil sludge on the block. I know that a few more of my gaskits are leaking but first things first. What do you all think are the best gaskits and methods to stop the leaking problem. With only four nuts holding each cover it kinda lends it self to problems.

Thanks for the halp all!!!

Todd Miller
    Carnelian Bay, CA

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine leaked like a sieve, and I thought the OEM covers looked hideous, so I picked up a set of Summit Racing chrome covers. For 22.95 they even came with gaskets. I also picked up a set of the long style holddown tabs. It looks good, and hasn't leaked yet[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I got some gnarly looking covers.
    [​IMG]
    Throw in some hold downs, gaskets, breather, sealant, you're looking at over $150.

I first tried the Fel-Pro rubber perma-dry plus gaskets, DO NOT BUY! Rubber gaskets are pure garbage. I returned them for a set of blue stripe cork laminate gaskets. All you have to do is sand off all the old gaskets off the heads and use some sealant to stick the gaskets to the covers and it should stay dry.

[​IMG]

4. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

I was going to go with a Earl's performance Valve cover seal. They seem pretty hard core to me. Has any body used them please let me know!!!???

Todd Miller
    Carnelian Bay, Ca

5. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

A new set of gaskets(factory will do) and a set of hold down tabs should fix the problem, however, if the flanges on your present set of valve covers are bent/warped from someone overtightening them then you might as well buy a new set.

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I used the fel pro rubber gaskets on my blazer over 4 years ago. No probs yet. Not sure what kind of glue I used though. I got a half used tube of white glue from a friend of a friend. No idea what it is but its awesome stuff.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've used them, and they definitely work. But for 50 bucks, you can get new covers, gaskets, breathers, holddowns and bolts, with enough left over for a quart of your favorite brew.

[​IMG]

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I always use the cork gaskets since they seem to seal better. Get good ones like Fel-Pro.. Also, I gasket goop them to the valve cover and dont tighten the bolts too tight or you will pinch the gasket and it will never seal..

Also make sure both mating surfaces are clean and free of oil and debris..
    Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

9. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

The things is, HOW TIGHT IS TO TIGHT? When I went to change the seals the bolts were so loose I could almost take them out by hand!!!!! Is there a torque spec on valve cover nuts? I ordered the wing nuts from summit along wit a few other things. This way I won't be tempted to torque them down with a ratchet.

Todd Miller Carnelian Bay, CA

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Mr gasket sells a thicker valve cover casket with the steel core. I bought the standard size steel core but they still leak. The thicker ones are 5/8" thick.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Holy cow 5/8 an inch thick?! That's WAY thick....that's over and half inch. I never saw a gasket that thick before?

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I found a real cheap deal on some old cast aluminum valve covers. Edelbrocks i think. Nice flat rigid gasket surface. I used cork gasket and some permatex and tightened them down to about 8 lb ft...3 years ago. No more leaks. This was after trying at least 3 other types of gasket with the tin covers. They are too thin to keep a good flat surface!

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

After you remove the covers and clean the mess off both the engine and covers, turn the covers upside down and take a small ball peen hammer and gently tap the holes out till they are either flat or stick up just a hair. Get some blue RTV gasket material and place a layer in the groove where the gasket goes on the cover. Once the gasket is in place run a bead on the top of the gasket and smooth down with your finger. Let set for a few minutes just to make it tacky and then place on the engine. Next look at the hold downs, they usually appear to have a bit of a "u" shape when looking at them flat, place the bow up on the valve cover and put the screw on, tighten till the bow flattens aginst the valve cover, then an 1/8 of a turn more. This should stop all the valve cover leaking and let you remove the valve cover again without a big mess. This procedure worked perfect for my Blazer and vette. Good luck...