Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve cover leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MILOLGJC, Apr 27, 2003.

1. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

After cleaning years of grease from a 76 k-5, we painted the engine and re-assembled with chrome valve covers. I used some fairly thick gasket seals and some gasket adhesive, but the covers still leak. I am at a loss. The right side cover is leaking at the inner midpoint area and the left side cover is leaking at the left rear area and the outside midpoint area. I am bummed to say the least. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. audacious

audacious Registered Member

i had the same prob after replacing the intake manifold and carb. i went out and got felpro gaskets, and long bracers with T handle bolts for the covers. the bracers did the trick for covering the middle pretty good. before that i just used stock nuts and bracers and some good felpro gaskets. definatly use super blue gasket forming goo when you put it together. also called RTV

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I cant recall where I seen them but somewhere out there is a full surround ring to evenly load the VC sealing area. Check Jegs or Summit.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

spreaders make all the difference, if you don't have em the valve covers can actually bend UP in between the hold down bolts. I prefer to use T handles as well.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One of the main reasons valve covers leak is because people over-tighten the bolts. Make sure that you only tighten those suckers down about 1/2-3/4 of a turn past hand tight......

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How thin are the valve covers? I recall hearing that some of the cheapy chrome valve covers are pretty thin, even compared to stock.

Can't imagine anything would stop them from leaking if they are thinner than stock.

7. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

definitely use the spreaders....those help alot. the RTV fixed my leak....but I couldn't get the damn covers back off again without bending the snot out of them. That stuff worked too well for me....didn't matter because I had a new crate engine with new cast covers, but I would have been screwed if the valve covers needed to come off before the new engine arrived.

8. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

I have GM OEM chevy chrome covers. I have the T handle screw fittings and the 8 spreaders on the covers. I'll try the "blue" goo. I was hoping not to have to glue them down though. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif