Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve cover oil leaks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dukhuntr5, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dukhuntr5

dukhuntr5 Registered Member

Surely someone on the forum has suffered with valve cover oil leaks on a pre-86 small block. Ive tried different valve covers, gaskets and assorted methods over the years. They always seem to leak at the rear of the cover. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

extreme cleanliness, make sure ALL surfaces are VERY clean, after scraping off the old gasket material, take a rag, spray some brake cleaner on it, then wipe down the head surface, so to rid it of any oil coating...

Take the valve covers, scrape them clean as well, and also use the brake cleaner to clean the surface of any oil coating,

use a very thin coat of high temp black RTV on the valve cover only, place the gasket on the valve cover only, place it centered with all holes, set it on the gasket surface on the ground for awhile until the gasket sets up so it won't move while putting it on the head....

once it's set up, install them on the head, no RTV on that surface, the gasket will seat to the surface when it heats up.

I do this even with chrome valve covers, and don't have any issues with leakage, and most chrome covers are hard to get sealed.

if you don't have them, try using the long spreader bars to assist with dispersing the torque of the bolts over the valve cover edges.

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i do the same method as 4xcrazy but i also hit the holes on the valve cover with a ball peen hammer.(from the top kinda flares it out) i was told it helps seat round the hole. idk. worked

4. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dont overtorque the bolts, slightly tight with a small 1/4 ratchet. maybe 10 foot/pounds. rubber gaskets work well too.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive had lots of trouble getting my valve covers to seal. what worked for me is like 4xcrazy said or some of those rubber gaskets with the steel inserts. the steel inserts keep them from losing their shape or blowing out.

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

huh thats weird..i CANNOT get the rubber gaskets to seal but always get my cork gaskets too. idk lol

7. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

dont over torque the bolts, guess thats the beauty of center bolts lol

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i have never had any luck with the rubber ones either,,,maybe they were cheap or something, but i just stick with the cork, no issues with them.