Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve cover?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tybee, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Whats the best way to seal a valve cover? Just the cork or cork and permatex or just permatex?

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

2. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

clean valvecover and apply silicone to valvecover gluing cover and gasket .
    let dry by puting vavecover on flat surface and letting the weight make a good pre-load to stick
    don't forget to make bolt holes line up-
    Flip

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

You could go ether way The blue stuff is ok untill you go to pull off the valve cover, I like the rubber gasket myself. But what it comes down to is whatever keeps the cover from leaking is good to go.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated
    Cethern@interfold.com

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your responses, I replaced the heads a little while ago and one of the valve covers leaks and I only wanna pull the injector lines off once.

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

After you clean the cover up you might want to wipe it down with alcohol to get all of the oil off before you apply the sealer. Seems to help and lets you know about all of those little cuts on your hands at the same time!

Smitty