Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve covers for Center Bolt heads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 2, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what valve covers do you have on your center bolt heads? Gonna put on roller rockers so I'm pretty certain I need new covers. wasn't going to bother but a few rockers are cracked so I'm not going to chance that.

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I know proform makes some high enough for roller rockers. About $140 I think. I was looking around when I was thinking of going vortec heads

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Horsepower TV showed some Proform steel ones, said they were damn cheap, and they would clear rollers. But Proforms site says they are still making the site and I can't find them on Jegs or Summit.

4. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

those seem to be the ones they showed, but they said a lot cheaper than that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i heard em say cheap, and i knew that was bs, cause I knew they were pretty expensive.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Trick flow makes center bolt to early style valve cover adapters. They give you a lot more options in valve covers.
    I think come set up for stud girdles too. Might need to check if they fit roler rockers.
    I'm sure Summit or Jegs sells them

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

GM themselves sells the adaptors too, but they cost as much as the Valve covers I would like to get /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Trick flow makes center bolt to early style valve cover adapters. They give you a lot more options in valve covers.
    I think come set up for stud girdles too. Might need to check if they fit roler rockers.
    I'm sure Summit or Jegs sells them

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean these things?
    Ouch, $100 for the adapter and you still haven't gotten yourself any valve covers /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are still running an AC compressor, the tall covers will interfere. I went with only roller tips and bought some cast aluminum covers at a show for $50.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

probably just going to go with roller tips but probably still get those covers. Never had A/C.

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you have looked at your other post yet but in the pictures I have proforms polished aluminum center bolt valve covers. They are tall too, the ones they list in their catalog are the short ones but they offer tall ones too in the same style with the bowtie stamped on the top. I am also running full roller rockers in there too, I really like the proforms they look nice, but thats only cause I am not really to fond of the chrome jobbers. Heres a link anyways to my motor so you can see them.

Stroker 1
    Stroker 2

They are not the best pics of the valve covers but they have a red bowtie engraved on them and they say chevrolet. If you would like better pics then let me know and I could take some better ones.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Running stock centerbolts with 1.52 comp pro magnums.

Little bit of time with a grinder and they fit.

Only clearance issue with the rollers is that they are wider at the trunnion than stock rockers. (fat center section if you will)

The stock centerbolt covers use reinforcing pieces welded across the center where each bolt hole is, and for strength, the lower lip of those is bent over. I took just a bit of that lip off where the trunnions were giving me issues, and they have been run on my truck with no problems.

Since the trunnion on the rollers doesn't move, there is no clearance issue associated with the valve train running. Well, let me re-phrase that. On self aligning rockers the trunnion won't move, or VERY little twisting. In any case, after about 500 miles, there is no wear on my rockers or covers.

Unless you go crazy with lift or ratio, I don't see how you could have any problem.