Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Dec 31, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok which ones are actualy worth a ****? i have an edelbrock intake so the stock covers wont work/seal. i took some chrome ones from auto at school (they were int eh trash why not?:haha: ) these are leaking too. My motor leaks on teh pass side, swapped covers and it stopped for about a week. Now it leaks again. my only thought is that the crhome is slipping on the gaskets and not sealing good.:confused: anyway which ones is everybody using?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Cast aluminum covers seal the best, but you should be able to get pretty much anything to seal. Sounds like you are overtightening the bolts to me.

3. broncoman6524

damnit, i though that too. the originals i knew didnt seal bc it didnt have the flange cut away. if that makes sense for the higher rise intake instead of the stock manifold.

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I did quite a bit of research and spoke with my engine builder, Mr. Janke, who has over 50 years experience in building hi-performance engines. He said that Edelbrock makes one of the best valve covers around and that he recommends the tallest you can fit. This allows for great oil bathing and breathing. After discussing it with him, these are the Edelbrocks I went with: 4249's

[​IMG]

I love them and they dress my new 383 quite handsomely. Here's a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The price; well, my happiness has no price, but in the retail world: $71.95 @ Summit Racing. Here's the link:

Click Here

Hope this helps you a little.

Happy New Year! [​IMG]

Manny

5. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

man those are nice, not too pricey either

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

HUH??? Why not?

7. broncoman6524

with the covers that came with the crate motor. there was no like cut out edge for the intake which is higher than the stock to allow for this. IE it didnt not seat completely bc the intake was holding them up. Thanks guys