Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Guide Seal Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks-k5blazer, Jul 25, 2004.

1. ks-k5blazer

ks-k5blazer Registered Member

I just had a guy put new valve guide seals on my 87 blazer. Engine tested good - 180#s compression (before). Before it was blowing out some smoke when the engine started but that was all. Now there is more smoke when it starts, during idel, and starting excelleration. Why would adding new seals make this get worse? Could it be incorrect new seals, poor workmanship, or what? Any experience with this or ideas would help. Thanks....

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did he use umbrella seals or the stock style?

Old motor your going to have to use the umbrella. The valve guide seals help seal and if they are worn the stock style seal is not going to help the problem. That's why you have to go to the umbella seals. They are "umbella" shaped and will hang over the top of the guide to shead oil away. The stock style are basigly a O ring. There are some really fancy ones also available that do a much better job then eaither of the others.

3. ks-k5blazer

ks-k5blazer Registered Member

The mechanic told be the umbrella seals would not fit on the 87 350? Maybe he did not have the correct umbrella seals for it???

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The mechanic told be the umbrella seals would not fit on the 87 350? Maybe he did not have the correct umbrella seals for it???

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm Well I am not super familure with the heads. I had no problem on my 79 but yes there were motor changes for the FI trucks so I don't know. Sounds to me like if that is true and the new fancy seals are not available then it's time to get the heads redone.

Now what color smoke and when?
    Valve guide seals are start up and idle at lights and take off they will blow some blue smoke.

If it's black smoke when hard throttle that's mixture. If it's a 87 with FI then replace the O2 sensor. O2's are supose to be changed every 60k.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

My K5 had a 327 that smoked on startup when I got it. I replaced the valve stem seals with the umbrella type. I used compressed air to keep the valves from falling into the cylinder while I did it. It stopped smoking on startup, but after it came up to temp, it was blowing quite a bit of white smoke. I went nuts for a week or so trying to figger out what the flock was going on. Compression test after compression test, then readjust valves then repeat....nothin doin'. Then it stopped. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The only thin I can figure, is that somehow I got oil into the exhaust pipes (maybe from using compressed air in the cyl?) and when they would get hot, it would start to smoke, and eventually it all burned out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif