Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve job or snow job

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukers, Oct 18, 2000.

1. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Hello All,
    Is there a simpler and cheaper method of preparing seats after new guides are installed. I want to put in new valves as well. The machine shop insists on doing an expensive 3 angle valve job. They say the cost of all this work makes it equal to just purchasing "their heads" that are all ready to go. Are these guys trying to overcharge me?
    Luke

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Nope. To properly "seat" the valves when operating in new guides, it is essential to grind the seats. A 3 angle valve job is pretty standard these days (actually has been for 10+ years). If you do not have the seats gound, I will guarantee you the valves will not seat and you WILL have low to ZERO compression. It is true that the shop's heads that are ready to go are probably the better deal. When I had my engine shop, when customer's would want their heads done, as opposed to taking a set of my in-stock heads (same casting, etc.), they would get upset because it would take a few days (had to schedule them in to the normal shop load)...when in reality they could have got the SAME EXACT thing at that precise moment by buying already done heads. Oh well, guess that's why I'm not in the business anymore!!!

ken

3. lukers

lukers Registered Member

Thanks
    What do feel would be a fair price just for the valve job? (I will provide parts)

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I had my heads done for 150 dollars. I would think 200 or less is a decent price. It's been a few years though since I had them done.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim