Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Seal help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scooter122983, Oct 27, 2006.

1. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

Looking to do a valve seal job is there any thing I should know (ie. tools, procedure, tips, tricks, etc.) The engine is a 90' 350 original heads and serpentine system. Any serious help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

are you planing on doing it with the heads on or off?

3. scooter122983

With the heads on. Sorry about that.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you, will need a air compressor and a adapeter to pressurize the cylinder, you will also need a valve spring remover that can be used with the heads on the truck, also while doing this you might want rotate the engine for each cylinder to keep the pistion at TDC to prevent a valve from droping

5. peter redman

peter redman Registered Member

another trick to doing valve seals with the heads on is to fill the hole with string if you do not own a compressor.to do this just remove plug and fill,and works even better if you can rotate the crank slightly to compress the string even more.on mine i had to do this because the valves needed a slight tap to release the retainers.good luck.

6. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

What peter said is right. Depending on how many miles the heads have on them, you will need to take a socket about the same size as your springs and tap on the top of the retainers to work the keys loose enough so that when you compress the springs, the valves will be free. Air through the sparky hole works good, but is not fool proof, be careful and take your time.

7. scooter122983

also what will i need to take out the seals, like a pick or something or can i just pull em out with my fingers.

8. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

I just used my hands/ fingers to pull em off. Mine were pretty worn so it wasn't tough. One thing to have on hand is a little magnet tool. When you get the valves compressed, it will expose the "keys". These are 2 little semi circular metal retainers, about the size and ahape of a small pinky finger nail. Use the magne to grab them once expose enough. They will be slippery and can easily fall into any crack, opening in your engine compartment, ground, etc. Get the magnet tool.