Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve seal question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 10, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm getting ready to replace my valve seals...I went to Advanced and picked up the seal sets, one for intake and one for exhaust... in the intake box, there are 8 O-ring like oil seals and 8 Blue valve stem seals that have 2 stainless steel "tensioner" band type things on them. In the exhaust box, there are 16 of the black o-ring like oil seals...NOw, did I get the correct thing or are the exhaust vales supposed to have the blue seals with metal retainers as well...??? Thnaks for your help....

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Take those back where you got them and go to NAPA and get a set of 16 umbrella valve seals. They are a couple of bucks apiece, but they are simple to install and work great. There is no machining to install them. Most of the ones with the metal band that I have seen require a little machining to the top of the guide. The napa ones are the way to go as far as I am concerned. Now, there are going to be some disagreements come in about that, but the NAPA ones are the ones I have used and I like. That is my opinion and as I said, they work for me.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch, chief...I'll do that...Also, what kinda valve spring tool so I need? Can I use the one that works like a pry bar? or do I need a different type? Thanks again...

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The pry bar one works oky for putting the springs on, sucks for taking it off. If you use one of those you need to hold the head down to the workbench and put a rag under the valve to hold it in place while you compress the spring to put the keepers in. Same thing for removing them. If you get one that does not want to come apart take an old 5/8 spark plug socket, place it on top of the spring, and smack it with a hammer and the keepers will let loose and it will come apart. Make sure to keep an eye on the keepers, they usually just fall off onto the head. That is the way I take mine apart, it works great and it is fast.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>