Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kristoffer, Jul 26, 2001.

1. kristoffer

kristoffer Registered Member

hello i wonder is it hard to change the valve seals on a 350, never done it before. how do i do it?
    please help..

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

Sory for my bad english! :)

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Never done it but have heard all about it.
    First your gonna need to take the valve covers off, then your gonna need to get a fitting that will screw into the spark plug holes that hooks to an air line from the air compressor.
    And your gonna need a valve spring compression tool to get the spring retainers off.
    You start on one, take the plug out, remove the inition coil wire and turn the motor over till that piston is all the way to the top. Insert the air fitting, apply air, then remove the spring retainer and spring then the valves will be exposed along with the seals. Then you take the old seals out and insert the new ones. I have always heard to use the umbrella shaped ones, adn you'll never have to worry about it again, providing this motor is all stock. Then move to the next cylinder

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pay particular attention to this part: "turn the motor over till that piston is all the way to the top". Do NOT remove the spring retainer until the piston for that cylinder is at the top of its stroke. Even though the air pressure from the compressor is holding the valves closed, it is still possible to bump the valve stem hard enough to cause it to open. With the retainer removed, this means that the valve will drop into the cylinder. If the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke when this happens you will get to learn how much work it is to remove the head. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

It's not bad untill I got to the drivers side by the vacum booster in the rear, it's just kinda tight to get your valve spring compresser in there. But overall it's not a bad job.(unless you drop a valve)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Good point HAIR-E! I thought I had everything in order there, but I hsould have pointed that out. But once again you are here to clean up after me!![​IMG]

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. kristoffer

kristoffer Registered Member

ok, that dident sound to hard. what do u think a shop will charge me for the jobb???

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

Sory for my bad english! :)

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Probably somewhere in the ball park of 200-250

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>