Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 10, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to replace valve seals... if i do replace it should get rid of the white smoke on start up right. If not then i have a cracked head?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs, some SSR's or SX's

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

its easy and they're cheap and its well worth the effort if your truck smokes a lot on startup... go with umbrella style seals, too.. you will need a valve spring compressor, to remove the locks. its just time consuming but like I said its worth it... you probably dont have a cracked head. Mine smoked a lot at first, and NONE now.. good luck

mike

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You got some umbreala seals? and no more smoke?

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs, some SSR's or SX's

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Worn valve guides can also cause your truck to smoke.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to do this real soon, too. What's the best way to hold the valves up so they won't fall into the cylinder when you are replacing the seals?

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

6. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Compressed air! I used a fitting that I got with my compression tester.

Ron

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I did the same thing when I did the seals on my Sub. Used the hose from my compression tester to screw into the spark plug hole and connected it to my air compressor. I did have to remove the air valve (like on a tire valve) from the end of the compression tester hose so it would work right. [​IMG]

TIP: Buy a good spring compressor. I bought a MadeInTaiwan POS that looked exactly like the Made In USA model made by Lisle. The fingers that grab the spring were too weak and kept rounding over and slipping. After wasting about an hour to do the first cylinder, I went and bought the Lisle brand tool at Pep Boys. Did the rest of the cylinders in 10-15 minutes each! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I couldn't get the adapter to use compressed air so i used a long piece of nylon rope. I got the piston close to TDC, fed the rope in until I couldnt fit anymore and brought the piston up to TDC. The rope held the valves up and allowed me to tap on the springs pretty hard to unseat the retainers. I know that when I did mine if I had used compressed air i would have dropped a valve for sure. Best things was I could set it up and then take a break to stretch out, have a cigarette, or get a drink and not have to worry about dropping a valve.

Whe you so this be sure to get the good umbrella seals. There were 2 types when I got mine. One was just a rubber seal the other had a type of retainer on the body of it and a metal ring on the outside at the top. They were only about $1 each. I also bought some good fel-pro valve cover gaskets. All in all I think I spent about $40 or so in parts to do mine.

I did a search and found this page Blue 87 GMC Jimmy
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

And what is the best way to get each piston to TDC? Is the only way by "feeling it" while bumping the engine?

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Use compressed air. It works fine. Just let the compressor build up pressure first. I have done this many times with using compressed air and no problems. Not even with triple valve springs on race cars. BTW tripple valve springs are a PITA.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

First off I had my little brother helping me do this. An extra set of eyes and/or hands is almost a necessity. We didnt use any where near a scientific method for doing this. Basically one of us would manually turn over the motor (kind of impossible to "bump" the motor with the battery disconnected) while the other would both watch the position of the rockers and hold a finger almost completely over the spark plug hole. When the rockers were even and it wasnt pushing out any more air we figured we were close enough (of course making good use of those highly calibrated hands/eyes .. LOL). Backed off just a bit (between 1/16 - 1/8 turn at the crank), fed in the rope and then brought it back up. Its not rocket science. I was only trying to provide an alternative if either the adapter or air was not available.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

12. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I agree with Scooter 100%.. the compressor method is noisey, and not foolproof.. shove some nylon rope in there and turn the motor over by hand until its snug.. I had to beat on my retainers pretty hard to get em off.. wouldnt want to have risked it either way.. and yes I went with the "cheap" kind of umbrella seals and have no more smoke...

mike