Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Steam seals? how hard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 31, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Whats involved in replacing them? Just remove the valves and do they just slip out easy or what? I know a kid that has a spring compressor tool.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

piece of cake once the valves springs are out. most the ols ones will crack in half and fall apart. new ones go right in.

-Jeremy

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doubt that will happen here maybe though. Motor was rebuilt then sat for 10 years. Not sure if it sat with oil or not. Will know tomorrow.

4. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Use compressed air to hold the valves open, take off the rocker arms, pick the crumbled bits of old seals off the valve guide, and install the new seals. Be very careful not to damage the seals when you put them on. My kit came with a little plastic piece the looks like a closed up drinking straw that you are supposed to slide over the end of the valve so that you don't damage the new seals. Did you get the umbrella style seals? My kit came with both kinds but with the umbrella seal all the way down I still didn't have room to get the o ring into position so I am just using the o ring style. This is a good time to check your rockers and pushrods for excess wear too and replace if needed.