Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve tick ...battery..... and tach

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5-newf, Nov 12, 2006.

1. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

I got three problems with my 84 gmc 305. Frist is my battery wont stay charged, seems like after a few days it goes dead. I noticed the other nite that the volts gauge is always reading the volts even when the key is off same thing if you tap the brakes the lights come on with out the key. Would that cause the battery to be draining or do i have a ground somewhere.
    Second is i got a valve tick, that is realy anoying. How would i get rid of this??
    Thrid is the p/o put a tach on my truck but never wired up the green wire witch i think it goes into the negitive coil wire. any one know exactly where it goes??

Thanks Jason

2. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

anything??? I would like to elimate at least one of my problems scine tommorow is a holiday here.

Thanks

Jason

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

battery drain would be checked with an ampmeter on the battery positive wire. pull each fuse under in the fuse panel one by one until amp draw drops then check that circuit out. You have to keep the dome light off for accurate readings so while the door is open, tape closed the dome light switch.

Next valve ticking would mean readjusting valve lash, get a chiltons manual to learn how to do that

Finally green wires does to negative coil wire on the dizzy.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not sure about the volt meter thing, but the battery could just be a bad battery, when they lose cells, they won't hold a charge for more than a few days,,,IF that, i would have the battery checked first, then go from there.

Lifter tick, like one mentioned, valve lash needing adjustment,,,,but why?

possibly a bad lifter, or something else is going on here. Is it a constant tick, or just for a bit at start-up and a short while after,,,,try alittle thicker oil, especially if it's a higher mileage motor.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Brake lights are supposed to come on whether the key is in the ignition or not. Safety, you know. :)

Voltmeter, no it shouldn't be reading with the key off. Does it move if you turn the headlights on, key out? If it doesn't, it may just "die" at that spot when you turn the key off and stay there. If it moves once you turn the key to run, (not start) then it is LIKELY ok.

Compare batt voltage on the gauge to what you get with a standalone voltmeter to ensure it is reading somewhat accurately, or at least so you know what 12V or so is on the gauge, regardless of what is printed on the gauge face.

6. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

thanks i'll hook up the tach tommorow.

i think the gauge is some what correctlyreading properly because it wont start below 12 but wen its charged it reads 14 and stays idling at 14.

Im pretty sure it anit te battery because if i disconect the batt it will stay charged.

as for the valves it is a constant tick and goes faster with each rev

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"Valve tick" I'd expect to be an exhaust leak. Very common, can leak multiple places, but typically easy enough to tell which side it's coming from.

8. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

Could be exhuast. But im pretty sure the tick is coming from the under the valve cover on the drivers side. If showed pictures of the middle section of my exhuast i would be shot. I got a pice of tin wraped and some tie wire around were the p/o cut it with a hacksaw. i only got it so its quiet when im workin on it and starting it and moving it around the garden so it do size up. in the spring plans are true duals, new paint , and recover the seat cosmetic repairs.