Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve tick noise.. help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, Dec 24, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I recently removed my passenger's side head to have the #6 intake valve fixed.. well it's fixed but it still runs like poop and ticks on that side of the engine.. So i redid the valve lash by rotating the crank to TDC on #1 and ajusting the valves (per haynes manual) than TDC on #6 and so on... they say to go a 1/2 to 1-3/4 a turn after no lash is felt...So to make sure it wouldn't tick i went 1-1/2 turns..

So thus i did all this and it still ticks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif..and runs like kinda poopie /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Well today i saw that the #2 cylinder header tube was "getting red" when all others were fine... (it was dark outside)

Question- How in the world can the valve/valves tick if there "overtight"??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'am i hearing explostion blow by on my "overtightened" #2 exhaust valve?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Please tell me i didn't wreck my valve /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Check the post on using the vac guage and try to set them while they are running. Let us know how it goes

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

1.5 turns might be too much, not letting the valves shut all of the way. I wrote an article that talke some about the theory of that. Hope it helps.

Cam Change

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You might have the same problem as I.

Some of my lifters are bad. Hence - the lifters do not "pump-up" and allow the valve lash to be quiet.

Basically, they are known as lazy lifters, and need to be replaced. I have about 4 of them that need to be replaced now.

I am running my lifters a little loose so I don't burn my valves, and I have quite a bit of ticking - especially after it is warm.

A cam and lifter change will solve all this though. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like the vacuum gauge test. With it running you can tighten the lash until the vacuum gauges starts to pulsate. Then back it off a little.

Good luck.