Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valve-timeing, with a Twizt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The miller cycle engine. (Mazda)

Small 6-cyl, 4-valves per cyl. With a little huffer and dual intercoolers. Pretty standerd stuff, right?

The funky part is the valve timeing. The intake valve is held open far-into the compression stroke. Basicaly, cutting the compression stroke in half. This also cuts the pumping losses in half, as the piston does not have to compress an "Over-Filled" cyl of air. (and therefore, increases efficiency)

As the piston is on the up-swing on the compression stroke, normaly, the freash charge in the cyl would end up-being pumped back out, into the intake manifold. But, the blower keeps the flow neutrilized at the valve. *I assume*, -This is where I kinda loose it, I'm not sure where the "flow" is, if any. And how much is being compresed. But thats kinda of irrelivent*-.

The spark ignites the A/F mix, and forces the piston down the bore. Now this is the fun part, The piston has a full-range of motion on the power stroke, so the engine can extract every ounce of power avalibe.

So, the Miller cycle engine has:
    - The efficency of a smaller displacement engine. (Higher fuel economy)
    - The power of a larger displacement engine. (Higher-out-put, due to the extended power stroke)

I didn't know where else to post this. Another thread, got me thinking about "funky" valve timeing, and I didn't want to swipe that thread.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tokyo-gas.co.jp/techno/eti/ene99/english/09e.html>http://www.tokyo-gas.co.jp/techno/eti/ene99/english/09e.html</a>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You want to convert that to english for me?

I'm not an engieer, just a regular ol' gear-head, that likes to talk-shop. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif