Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valve Trouble?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 3, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I recently changed spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor (with little noticable effect on rough running) in my 87 K5 (350 auto EFI). The back two plugs on the pass side were wet with engine oil, and the last one was crusted pretty bad. All the rest were surprisingly clean, no carbon, nothing. Could this be a valve problem? How much would repairs cost? I don't know if this matters, but six years ago, before I owned it, radiator trouble caused a severe overheating and the head gasket blew. It was replaced, and I assume the head was machined, too.

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's life span.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd bet that your valve stem seals are worn - Later GM small-blocks tend to have this problem more so than older models. They are comparably easy and inexpensive to replace, as compared to an entire head/valve job.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>