Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

valvetrain problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Oct 10, 2000.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with the 85 a couple nights ago. Pulled the covers (350) and found 4 bent push rods. Figured I'd replace all the push rods and rocker arms. Problem is, 4 or 5 rocker studs have a "kerf" worn in by the rocker arms. The studs are pressed in and are not cross pinned. Is there a way to remove the studs and replace without pulling the heads?
    Does anyone know of a roller or partial roller arm that will fit under stock center bolt covers?
    Thanks,
    John
    And,Yes I know about pulling them with a high lift cam and an 8500 rpm pass. I'd like to hear some other way. :-)

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just moving this back to the top. Nobody knows about this?
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have used a tool that looks like a deep well socket. I don't recall the name of the tool but you simply slide the tool over the stud and it has tiny rollers inside the tool that grip the threads. It then can be removed with a socket and a ratchet. I think they were made in Germany. Try calling a machine shop I'm sure they have something similiar when rebuilding heads.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

see other post(just move up with this.) CompCams makes roller rockers that I'm running and work great.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Are the studs worn that badly? If not, run em the way they are! People fix and/or replace stuff when not necessarily mandatory, all the time! RUN IT!

ken