Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Valvetrain Tick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Feb 8, 2005.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

98 Vortec 350 with 49k miles...

Sounds like a valvetrain tick on the passenger side. Any ideas on what I can do, I guess I could adjust the valve thats ticking but was wondering if there were any other ideas. Kinda strange for this to happen on such a low mileage motor?

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Not sure about with newer motors, but back in the day... the salty dogs used to say to put a little tranny fluid or marvel mystery oil in the crankcase for sticky lifters...

Anyone else know if that works or is it just myth???

3. daleearnhardt01

Ive heard that too, now that Ive done a little poking around apparently the newer Vortecs like to tick a little bit so maybe I shouldnt be alarmed.....

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

IMHO it sounds like its the rockers. Have you pulled the covers and check the torque specs?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The Marvel Mystery oil might work

If its due to sticky lifters,then Marvel Mystery oil might help,or some "Valve Medic" additive,GM's "Engine Oil Supplement" from a dealers parts counter is the best stuff to try first,its a bit pricey though---

The vortec's arent usually noted for valve train noises like the older small blocks--I have read about a lot of them having piston slap though,especially after a start up in extreme cold weather,but the dealers are not fixing them,calling it "normal" engine noise!:surepal: --not if I had spent 30 grand on a new truck,ANY noise isnt "normal" on a new truck if you ask me!!:crazy:

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a 99 Suburban with a 5.7 vortec that has developed a slight exhaust leak. Check that out first. If it is not that, it is either a loose or broken rocker (pretty unlikely) or a sticky lifter.

7. daleearnhardt01

If it is a sticky lifter should I try some tranny fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil to try to get it unstuck.

Will it hurt anything to drive it for a few weeks until I get it home to look at it, I dont really have the resources to mess with it up here at school, I guess i could if I had to but Id prefer to get it on the lift at home...

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Try some SeaFoam Green..good stuff for cleanin anythin gummed up in the valvetrain.

9. 89K5Carolina

89K5Carolina Newbie

ticking 350

pull off your valve covers and see if there is any play in your pushrods. they will make a tick if they have loosened up.

litty

89' k5 6" lift, 350, Holley TBI, THM350, NP241, 10 bolts 4.10 w/eaton lockers 36"

10. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I would try Autorx if you think it is a sticky lifter. That stuff is a very aggressive ester that really cleans up a motor. Tranny fluid doesn't have the detergents it once had.

With hydraulic lifters, it would be unusual to have a rocker that needs adjusting.

11. daleearnhardt01

I just cant believe that it could be a sticky lifter with this low mileage but I guess it happens...

12. pineyjon

pineyjon Registered Member

i second the exhaust leak