Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Van 14FF (updated)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Nov 21, 2002.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Long story. I did a search and found everything but what I wanted so please bear with me.

So, I was wandering the junkyard looking for general stuff after finding a brainbox for a S10.. and I was thinking about people using Van 14FFs in their rides which I read about on here recently. Why? I don't want to have skinny rear-end syndrome either.

So, here I am perusing the junkyard which has been stripped of most everything useful that was once RWD and I'm looking for 14FFs under vans. Well, I stopped by the <i>Pile of Shame</i> as I call it (150 or so axles in a pile that have had their covers taken off and are now junk because some goofball wanted to see what ratio they are and never put the cover back on) and looked at them. I couldn't tell whether they were van ones or not. The 1 tons stuck out like a sore thumb because of the spring perches.

So I started looking at 3/4 and 1 ton vans from the seventies. I find 5 or 6 of them and they all look the same. I make a mental note of how much hub is showing and the offset of the wheels and go find a 14FF in a truck. I find one. It looks identical to the ones I found in the vans.

Therefore, what exactly makes these Van axles wider? I was expecting the hubs to push the WMS out further but I didn't see that. Are the axles themselves wider? I wasn't much interested in crawling in the muddy snow so I didn't look to see if the spring perches and shock mounts were in the right spot. Are they?

<font color="red">UPDATE</font color>

OK, I hereby admit to my ineptitude. I swear I was using the search feature correctly but I did the exact same search again and I got a plethora of information.

Here's what I found:
    The axle is wider by 3" and you will have to move both the spring perches and shock mounts. Everything is the same except for the axle tube length and the axle shaft length.

That kind of sucks. Why couldn't GM do something crazy like move the wheel mounting surface of the hubs out 1.5"? I know it'd stress the bearings more but...

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: Van 14FF

IIRC, the van axles are 3" wider so they match the front track width. i have no idea how they made them wider (axles tubs, hubs, voodoo magik, etc.) but they should look identical, except for the width.

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Ah yes the axle pile.....Yes it is shitty that people pull the covers and let them get full of water. Thats the reason you dont see too many places where you can walk around the yard at will.
    Why not just use the regular width 14FF? No moving spring mounts or shock mounts and hey its the same width as the front. Not to mention should you ever break a shaft it will be harder to find. Just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Brian
    82 Burb 40" TSL D60/14FF SM465/NP205
    custom body with blazer removable top!!

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why not just use the regular width 14FF? No moving spring mounts or shock mounts and hey its the same width as the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not the same widht as the front, if it's from a 1 ton you have to move the spring perches, and if it's from a 2wd you'll have to move the shock hangers.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It's been said that GM made the truck axles narrower to help with turning and I think tire wear as well.
    The Van 14ff mite be harder to find but if I was going to go with 1ton stuff I'd find a Van even if I have to relocate some stuff. The wider stance would help somewhat and it would look better.

Eric

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hey Mentch, how'd you like the day off school--and tomorrow as well? Did Tim ever get that oil pan off the van?

I want a van's 14FF to make up for the fact that GM's front axles are ~3" wider than the back. If I'm going to be going upwards 4" I'd like to get the back a little wider to help compensate. Plus, I think it looks better that way. haha.

I've got a 3/4 ton 14FF that's sort-of ready to go in but I was exploring possibilities. I probably won't be playing with any drivetrain stuff until spring break at the earliest so I've got some time to waste.

-One of the other many Brians