Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Van Axle ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Feb 13, 2003.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

What type of axle (other than a 14bff) came in 1 ton Chevy vans? I have an oppurtunity to get one out of an '83, but from outward appearances, it does not look like the 14 bolt.

Thanks,
    John

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The vans you want are G30's....those had the 14BFF under them.

If you're looking at an 8-Lug that doesn't resemble a 14 Bolt.....you'll have to wait for more responses. I don't know THAT much about 'em.

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Count the bolts in the cover.10=10B,12=12B,14=14B.FFaxles come out with row of bolts on end of axle,SF axles are one oeice and have c-clips{I think}.Van axles are wider,but, if you need an axle later only van axles will fit.Pictures of stuff makes it a lot easier to identify /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

There are 14 bolts in the cover, but it is the shape of the cover that leads me to believe it is not a corporate 14 bolt. Any chance it may be a Dana 60 rear?

Thanks,
    John

5. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Yea, there are 2 14 bolt 1 ton rear ends. The 14FF and the 14SF and they are completely different. The SF look more round than the FF. I think it's a 9.25" ring gear as opposed to the 10.5" in the FF (or something like that) and has c-clip axles. They are still pretty stout rear ends and they used to have more locker/posi options for them but now a bunch of new stuff is being made for the 14FF and with the full floating axle setup, they are much more desireable for wheeling.

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Oh and we just set up a 91 G30 for my dad and it had the Semi-Floating 14bolt in it, so I think they must've switched to the SF as the standard 1 ton rear end sometime in early 80s. His old 75 G30 has the FF.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The SF 14 has a 9.5" ring gear. It is a c-clip axle, and many different lockers are available from a lock-right to a detroit. It isn't near as strong as a FF, but it isn't as heavy either. Disk conversions are available, and gears to around 4.88. I've had two of em on my trucks and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't go much bigger than 35's with one, but for a moderate buildup it's not a bad choice and has more diff clearance.

8. SkulzNBonz

Thanks all, I pondered that it may be the semi floater, but didn't know they put a SF in any one tons.

John

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

From what I've seen, the numerical callouts on vans are somewhat skewed. Most conversion vans will carry a G20 tag, even though they run 1/2 ton running gear. It's possible that the G30 you are looking at is a light duty version. Tough saying without seeing the actual van.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

My friend has a 1 ton van and it has a 14 bolt semi-floater. Does the one you are looking at have bolt in axles ? If it does and it's not a 14FF then someone may have swapped in a D60. If it has 14 bolts on the cover and does not have bolt in axles then it should be a 14SF.

11. SkulzNBonz

Talked to my buddy that has the van at his place, definately not a FF axle. The van is a commercial panel type, so the chances are slim that someone swapped in another axle. My money is on a 14bSF. Question #2; is it worth my time to screw with this thing, or should I just find a FF and be done with it?

Thanks Again,
    John

12. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what we discovered Kyle. The numbers and tonnage ratings don't seem to mean jack anymore. My dad first bought a 90 G20 and it was 100% half ton, 6lug 10bolt rear, 700r4, maybe heavier springs than a G10 but thats about it. The 92 G30 we found had the 8lug 14bSF rear, and the beefier tranny (4L80E or something like that) and also sits about 2 inches higher. I've seen the 14bSF in newer 1ton pickups too. I don't think they use the 14FF in anything anymore. Anyone confirm or deny this or know the last years the 14FF was used?

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Van axles are wider,but, if you need an axle later only van axles will fit.

[/ QUOTE ] I havent been able to verify this personally and have mentioned it before and someone was supposed to check to see, BUT I have been told the ONLY difference in all the 14FFs is the spacing of the hubs and brake backing plates themselves. This does not include the spring pads and shock mounts needing to be moved. But the housing, shafts and drums are all the same.

My dads 1 ton dually had a real big hub protruding out vs my SW 14FF. His brake backing plates were sunk around the axle tube where mine were closer to flush. I have had 1 guy tell me that in a side by side comparision the van is ONLY different in the hubs and backing plates. The van 14FF has close to no hub sticking out, but the axles and housings are the same. Just a different hub offset.

Can ANYONE verify this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Am I the only guy that's worked in a GM wrecking yard?!?!?

GM ditched the 14FF in '81 in favor of the 14SF. An SRW full-floater was available again in '88. 20-series GM vans have always been a glorified 1/2-ton, although the diesels had heavier wheel breaings. Thank God they got revamped for '96 with a proper body-on-frame construction and unique series designations /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's some 14FF info:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=garage&amp;Number=664297&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The shafts are longer. I compared my 3/4 ton 14b to my 1 ton van 14b. The housings are about 1.5" wider (roughly). It looks like it still uses any ordinary SRW 14b hub, but the shafts are definitely longer.

My dads 1 ton dually had a real big hub protruding out vs my SW 14FF.

[/ QUOTE ]

The duallie wheels used a different offset hub.

His brake backing plates were sunk around the axle tube where mine were closer to flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

The backing plates are further offset to compensate for the 13" drums. It sounds like you have a 3/4 ton 14b, with the smaller drums (11.25 I think), as compared to the 1 ton only 13" drums.

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The shafts are longer. I compared my 3/4 ton 14b to my 1 ton van 14b. The housings are about 1.5" wider (roughly). It looks like it still uses any ordinary SRW 14b hub, but the shafts are definitely longer. The duallie wheels used a different offset hub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on the money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The backing plates are further offset to compensate for the 13" drums.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's two different backing plates for the 13" drums. Offset backing plates are for the 3.5" wide drums. Flatter ones for the 2.5" drums. 11" and 13" drums were both used on 3/4-tons.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Any chance it may be a Dana 60 rear?

[/ QUOTE ] D60s have 10 cover bolts.

18. Pure Insanity

a GM wrecking yard

[/ QUOTE ] Ahhhh life would be good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Pure Insanity

The shafts are longer. I compared my 3/4 ton 14b to my 1 ton van 14b. The housings are about 1.5" wider (roughly). It looks like it still uses any ordinary SRW 14b hub, but the shafts are definitely longer.

[/ QUOTE ] FINALLY a definative answer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The duallie wheels used a different offset hub.

[/ QUOTE ] That I knew. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It sounds like you have a 3/4 ton 14b, with the smaller drums (11.25 I think), as compared to the 1 ton only 13" drums.

[/ QUOTE ] Nope I have the 13 inchers.

Note the first sentence of my first post. I had heard this and didnt know for sure myself. I was hoping someone would be able to come thru on this w/ an answer for sure. The guy that told me this is normally RIGHT ON when it comes to truck info. Guess this time he was wrong. All I know is what I have and thats about it when it comes to axle measurements. I know what interchanges and what has to be done to make something work in something else, but have no HARD info outside of the norm like specs and such. Which is why I dont claim to know for fact, just what I have heard and hope someone knows for sure.

One thing about me is if I dont KNOW for fact, I make sure I say so, so noone will try something I said and think its gonna work. Sometimes Ill make a post like above, (this is what I have heard type thing) to find out for positive myself and hopefully help someone else.

20. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Forgive me for asking this question that isn't 100% on the subject...but while everyone is talking about FF 14 bolts in vans, what were the most common gear ratios used for vans? I found a 3/4 ton late '70's van with a 14 bolt in it today at the wrsecking yard. I assumed it was probably 3.73.