Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Van dipsticks in lifted trucks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Jan 17, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I was at the yard last week and was just wandering around trying to find cool stuff and ideas. I do the same thing at Sears and Home Depot. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I found a G series van and noticed how the engine oil and trans dipsticks are longer to reach out of the doghouse and to the hood where they can be checked more easily. Any body else think this would be a good idea on a lifted /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifor /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif? Has anybody else tried this? I can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea assuming you can find the right dipstick.( driver/pass side from the right year and type)

What da you'ens think?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Sounds feasable! Would be nice not have to climb up then in to the engine bay! Let us know how it works out!
    Bill

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing! but I need a long Big block stick. And a dipstick for a TH400. None of my yards have a van with a BB or TH400.

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking the same thing! but I need a long Big block stick. And a dipstick for a TH400. None of my yards have a van with a BB or TH400.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I haven't seen too many vans with BBC! Usually SBC. Although there are the metro style trucks (Delivery vans maybe)
    Bill

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have done this in my old blazer that got stolen several years ago. It worked great, I even used the oil fill pipe which is much longer and also goes closer to the front of the grill. Made it really easy to check and add oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Have seen it done before. A guy here in town did it on a 77 2wd. Probably because he is 5'2" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a lokar flex stick brought out through my wheel well since I have a body lift.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes it is done alot by the 67-72 guys, you cna use the oil filler tube with black round rubber cap and the dipsticks and tubes all from the 70s vans, i have a few around somewhere i have saved, unless are scrapped, dont know, you might need to swap a valve cover from a van to make the filler tube work, i know i have at least one of those around here, from 77 350 van

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes it is done alot by the 67-72 guys, you cna use the oil filler tube with black round rubber cap and the dipsticks and tubes all from the 70s vans, i have a few around somewhere i have saved, unless are scrapped, dont know, you might need to swap a valve cover from a van to make the filler tube work, i know i have at least one of those around here, from 77 350 van
    and also 4bbl stopck air cleaner spacer about 2 or 3" tall

10. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Triaged(Dan) has one in his 1st gen.Pretty cool and practical /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I haven't seen too many vans with BBC! Usually SBC. Although there are the metro style trucks (Delivery vans maybe)
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy got a 90 1ton 2wd chevy van from a gov auction with a TBI 454 and 4L80E... its pretty wild, he uses it to pull his 28' enclosed trailer and his 79 drag van that has a supercharged 468 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

dragvan

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Man, whose truck is that that you can barely see in that pic? It looks SWEET! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, whose truck is that that you can barely see in that pic? It looks SWEET! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[hyjack]
    [​IMG]
    I dont know here's a whole shot /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    POST WHORE /forums/images/graemlins/bewarespam.gif
    [/hyjack]