Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Van WA head 'em up to TSF Sat. morning

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Aug 18, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Van WA head \'em up to TSF Sat. morning

I am planning on going. I see that a few from the 'coove might want to caravan up there. I'm on east coast time, so I'll be up early and going for the day. If anyone wants to hook up, please post up here so we can organize. I'd like to follow someone out if possible since I have never been there. Also, I'll need to wheel lightly 'cause I still need u-joints pretty bad and my spare went to the great swamper mud hole in the sky. I'll need to make it home /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can be ready to leave by 6:00 a.m. Dunno if that works for everyone else, but by then I'll have already been up for a couple hours /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Van WA head \'em up to TSF Sat. morning

what size joints? i think i have a couple of smaller (1/2 ton!) spares laying around that are new/unused...

j

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Not sure..whatever u-joint is standard for the whoosy 1/2 ton drive shafts and D44 axles. My drive shaft joints aren't shot, but they're getting to the point where they need to be replaced. Also, one of the dust seals is gone off my drivers side front axle shaft. It's not causing me any problems, ut I want to replace it. I'd pick them up and bring them along for "just in case", but I won't get home until around 12 am Sat. morning. I'll have just enough time to catch some sleep, pack up my stuff and head out.

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Shane,

I plan on "light" wheeling myself, but I will be bringing an extra set of 12-bolt and D44 shafts with me just in case someone (myself included) blows one out and wants to get home.

also, if your still running 1/2 ton running gear, I can lend you one of the 35's that are sitting in my garage for a spare... Its a tad off-size, but at least it would get you home if you really needed it to.

-Ryan

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

speaking of all these spare parts and what not...Im wondering what I should bring along /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I dont even have a spare tire /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and I have front 6lug and rear 8 so I'd need 2 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif but my tires are BRAND NEW so HOPEFULLY I wont have any probs

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'm going to bring a spare 12b shaft too. I might take you up on the spare offer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

What time do you want to head out?

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Brian, here's a basic list of what I bring on a trip..

Every trip
    Tow strap
    Shovel
    Leather gloves
    Tool box
    Electrical wire and connectors
    High lift jack
    Spare tire
    Spare u-joints
    Spare axle shaft/s
    Water (2 gal. distilled for radiator)
    Oil (at least 2 quarts)
    Gas (5 gallon can if I'm going to be way out in the boonies)
    Tranny fluid (at least 2 quarts)

Optional
    My wife ('cause she's cool an' her boobs bounce on the big bumps 'n stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    My dog ('cause she's cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
    Lunch
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen ('cause I'm topless /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)
    $$ to pay somebody that might have to tow my broken @ss home! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Tag along with the group and you should be fine. We'll make sure you get home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $$ to pay somebody that might have to tow my broken @ss home! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad I already have plans for that day but if any of you break so badly you can't drive it at all give Jeff a call on his cell and he can try his best to get ya home /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

What time are you leaving and what freeway you cruisin down? I will headed down to Wilsonville Chevrolet in the Camaro might be fun to cruise with /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You guys still have that car hauler? Would it hold my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. JDBlazer454

Nope our car trailer is loooooong gone but we have the tow truck here 7 days a week 24 hours a day and I bet if you ask real nice he would be happy to help /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

well for me... I bring:

Spare tire - sometimes an extra for giggles
    Tent, Sleeping bag & Pillow (cause I WILL NOT drive ANYWHERE after dark... and Darkness = alcohol /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)
    Tire Iron - duh
    lots of tools - I keep a bag of wrenches and sockets and whatnot.
    2-3 quarts of oil
    2-3 quarts of tranny juice
    Hi-lift
    *No tow strap - need to get one* /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Extra shafts (front and rear)
    Water - potable cause it will get me home and keep me alive
    food - enough for a day
    extra set of socks - cause we live in Oregon/Washington
    gloves

3-5 1-gallon ziplock baggies: in which I keep the extra baggies, toilet paper, my green card (emergency card) and other stuff I want to keep dry.

a good attitude about bad stuff, cause bad is going to happen, cant get too down about it.

and a healthy set of balls... which I keep in my glovebox cause when it comes to body damage, I am a pussy. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Shane: I'll stay close then...cuz I've spent all my money on my trucks and not enough on recovery gear /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I'll prolly borrow a tow strap from a buddy of mine...hoepfully be able to buy a hi-lift jack b4 I go, the gas can I got, oil and waters no prob...the tools I always bring...Im just missing the stuff youd need if ya broke something...No axles, gonna pick up some U-joints b4 I leave tho, I dont even have a spare tire /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif but my tires are brand new so im hoping I wont have any probs (prolly will now just for saying it)
    And I'll deffinently bring cash cuz if someone has to pull my dumbass out of somewhere I'd feel really bad! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

At least im hoping there will be enough people, trucks and parts that we should all have an awesome time!!

13. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

if any of ya do break down this weekend i plan on being home all day sunday and most of saturday i might not have everything you need but i just might.i live 1 mile from the highway 6 and 8 merger towards forest grove i will probable put the 72 out in my field so i can clean that half of the shop.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'll bring them spare u-joints... I have no use for them, but someone else might... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

15. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

wow somehow I missed this post.

we will be leaving from my house at 6:00 am on saturday
    and I live just off of 162nd and ward rd or close to fourth plain

there should be 3 rigs heading down with us but you never know when someone will back out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I am just going to tow bar my rig down and im hoping that we dont run into any unhappy staters in washington because I have no tire coverage in the rear since I made it a four seater and narrowed it up but oh well we are going /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

dood... I live right off 162nd and Ward rd... what the? (No, I am not kidding)

17. JDBlazer454

Well how was the trip? How many pieces did we break our rigs into? Torture me with the pics /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

For my part, I had a helluva good time. Shane looked like he was on a mission to roll his blazer and honestly I swore he was going to at least once.

I have a couple pics... but a friend of Shane's has video of it which I am interested to see, especially Shane going nuts on this hill-climb that we were all CERTAIN he was going to die on. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

This pic is at the bottom of University - Medium Difficulty
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/14691/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500
    These next two are of us crossing a narrow little land bridge right before Shane and Brian climbed up this nasty little cut trail and made me and my 32" tires feel inadequate. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/14693/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/14692/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500

No breakage while I was there (till about mid-day Saturday) and I saw Shane driving down hwy 26 a few hours later so I dont know that he had any either... I was real shocked at how well the blazer did... open diffs, 3" of lift and 32" tires and I didnt have any trouble with anything we tried (though I admit we didnt try a TON of stuff)

It was awesome to meet SMPRider112 (Brian), His girlfriend (who knew TSF better than the rest of us together) his brother (Jason?) and his girlfriend. Also Jekbrown (briefly) and a bunch of guys from Pirate who were hella cool and didnt even give me a raft of [darn] about my blazer being so close to stock.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif