Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

van width 14 bolt ff ?????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Oct 22, 2004.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

van width 14 bolt ff ?????\'s

can anyone explain the pros-cons of using a van width 14b ff rear i am using a d60 front and the van rear, i was told they are the same track width as the front? and if so how were the trucks setup stock? thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: van width 24 bolt ff ?????\'s

From the factory the trucks are set up with a slightly narrower rear axle (I think about 3" overall). My understanding is the benefit of the staggered track widths is increased turning radius. The only con I can think of would be the minor loss in turning radius but it isn't enough to really worry about.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i saw 24bolt ff's and was like wtf lol. Yeh i believe the benefit was turning radius, and ive heard something about so offroad the back tires wouldnt follow in the fronts ruts. If you can get one, get it, looks alot better than the narrow rear.

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Van widths will increase you turning radius as stated above. The narrow 14FF will decrease your turning radius.

You rear tires will track the same as the front if you run the van width.

5. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

Re: van width 14 bolt ff ?????\'s

went out and measured the 14bolt ff.brake backing plate to brake backing plate at bottom, where the hole for adjusting the brakes is. i measured 52". i then went and measured the 14bolt ff in my truck( axle from a 1974 gmc 3/4 ton) it measured 54"? are you guy's sure about the van width being wider? i know the truck axle i have was original in the truck i would assume the brakes and all were the same. so that wouldn't change the width. now i am totally confused! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: van width 14 bolt ff ?????\'s

You have to measure WMS to WMS. The hubs are what is different on most of them. For different brakes they put the backing plate flange in different spots from the ones I've seen.