Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Van-Width 14BFF....coupla questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So I thought I knew enough NOT to be confused when I started searching for a van-width 14BFF. I was sure that it should be exactly 3" wider than the standard axle, which should make it identical in track width to a D60?

I took a quick measurement off a "standard" 14BFF in the only place that I could easily measure....from the rear of the backing plates. That measurement was approx 51"...

I figured if I ever found a Van axle I should expect to see a measurement from backing plate to backing plate of around 54", right? WRONG! I found what I'm sure is a 1-Ton GMC Van (It's an '82 in case that matters), but the measurement is more like 56"? Roughly 5" difference from a standard truck axle.

Any ideas about why this is happening? Am I just measuring at a bad spot? I know that I should really be measureing WMS to WMS, but that's not always a convenient option.

Anyone got some insights? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The backing plates will be different based on which size brake shoe set up is on the axle, this is probably why your measurements are varying. I have a '76 van axle in my truck, when I get home tonight I'll dig up the WMS to WMS figure and post it here.

BTW - I'm running disc brakes so I can't give you my backing plate measurements - sorry.

3. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

nvrenuf has it right, it will depend on the brake size. I have a van 14 bolt, what measurements do you need. I havent started my rear disc conversion YET !!!

4. Greg72

Actually, all I need to know is if you measured the axle from the rear of the drum brakes (between the backing plates) the distance would be either 56" (like I measured on my candidate axle) or 54"...(which was what I was expecting to see, after measuring my existing 14BFF with 13" Drums and adding the extra 3"!)

Bottom line, I guess since I KNOW that the axle I found is wider than normal, does that mean it HAS to be correct? Or could there be more than one width of VAN axles?

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't know if there is more than one size van housing. I did get some measurements from my axle :

1) From WMS to WMS = 70"

2) The distance between the backing plate mounting flanges on the housing is 58"

Hope this helps!

6. Greg72

When I took my measurement, I went from the very top of the backing plates. I think where they bolt to the axletube is a little more recessed, so that might account for your 58" measurement....?

It sounds like I am probably worrying too much, and I've probably found the axle I need to buy. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

I know this is an OLD thread but does anyone know, or can they get, the distance b/t the spring perches (pin to pin) for me? Appreciated in advance y'all! :bow:

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you wanting to install a van 14ff into your blazer? If so, then the spring perch spacing needs to be 42.5" center to center.

9. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

No, it's going in a 90 K1500 (my next project :D). I know that model truck is 47" from pin to pin but I was going to see how close it was going to be.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can tell you for certain that a van 14ff isn't 47" center to center. The van width might be 40.5" though. I have a van 14ff sitting in the garage but unfortunately for you there are no perchs on it anymore for me to measure.

11. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

Oh well, thanks anyways Scott! :bow:

12. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I measured my Van 14FF. It does not have the spring perches, but their location is still visible. I got 50.3"

13. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

Thanks!!

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

An easy way to tell if it's a van width is to look at the distance from the backing plate flange to the outter edge of the perch. The perch is only like 2.5" from that flange IIRC, where as a normal 14 bolt perch is like 5.5 or 6" (or there abouts) away from it.

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I forgot to tell you the perches on the van ff I've got here are 50or51 from center of perches. :wink1: So it still needs to be moved.

Also a C&C is 40"

16. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

Yeah I was figuring on having to move it. Looks like I need to knock the dust off my brand new welder and get to learnin'. :D

17. jonathon

jonathon 1/2 ton status

What are you going to do with the K1500? :D

18. Copasetic

Copasetic 1/2 ton status

SAS, D60/14BFF, dunno if I'm going to keep the 4.56's or go deeper, 38"-42" tars (not sure yet), I"m sure I'll think of something else. :D

19. jonathon

jonathon 1/2 ton status

That will be pretty sweet.. I love that body style.