Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vang; Wisconsin Hunting hunter-shooter - Found police report

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 28, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

His lawyers are on Fox News right now in a press conference. I wouldn't want to be these guys, this is going to be pretty tough to get this guy out of... He came right out and said he chased down and killed the victims, and then shot another victim because he "wasn't dead yet".

Of course Fox interviewed some California lawyer who pointed out that she doesn't believe he was really hunting if was out there hunting with an "assault weapon", and what he could possibly be hunting with that weapon, "I mean, how many ducks can you shoot with that assault rifle??" To the interviewer's credit, he framed the question as "some people are calling this an assault rifle, but it doesn't fit under the assault weapons definition".

Clearly obvious this woman is anti-gun, what ticks me off is that she's a lawyer, and that she got air-time labelling her as some kind of authority. The rifle Vang was using was a legal and legit hunting rifle, the guy could really have been out there hunting deer. I actually think he probably was, but went nuts somewhere along the way.
    The rifle was an sks something 7.62mm, and it did not fall under the definition of an assault weapon in the now-sunset Assault Weapons Ban. It isn't actually scary looking.

Don't get me wrong, I completely think Vang's "Self-Defense" crock is bogus and he should pay the penalty for 6 counts of cold-blooded murder (not that I know all the facts, but his own statements are hard to read as self-defense). But I also recognize that this event was ammunition (no pun intended) for the mindless anti-gun crowds, and to see uninformed statements like that irritates me. Is someone qualified to be a lawyer when they use media buzzwords to form their opinion and raise thier questions, instead of actual knowledge?

edit:
    Found the police report link:
    Vang Police report

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Re: Vang; Wisconsin Hunting hunter-shooter

I've read the police report. His goose is cooked. I believe that the "he isn't dead?" statement was made by one of the slain hunters, Vang claims.

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Damn Liberals are behind this one...

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif People are dead, this has nothing to do with republican vs democrat....tired of every fawking thing be boiled down to liberal vs conservative these days, give me a break!

And though an SKS is legal for hunting, its a pretty cheasy POS to be using. Why would you need a semi-auto with 10 rds to hunt a dear? Get a Model 70 or Rem 700 if you want to hunt like a real hunter. Better yet, get a single shot and show how good you really are /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh, and if you want to be the Conservative Proud to be American, Buy American, etc etc type, get your self a weapon that wasn't designed by the communist's, and isn't being used around the world to kill Americans.

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The guy is definitly a nut job, but I am having a hard time believing he wasn't provoked at all. Not excusing what he did, but I think there is some blame on both sides.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ratch, you wanna clue him in? LOL!

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

And don't give me some stupid gun rhetoric either, I own assualt weapons, I've owned an SKS, I have sold all kinds of guns...yada yada yada.

And I realize the liberals will use this as ammo for banning "military" type guns, but frankly we don't need to worry about all that with republican control of things.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's a joke, you thick skull you

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If all sides of this story are to have some merit, then Vang was spoiling for a fight, and the hunters probably obliged him with a reason.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I just have one thought. Why the hell didn't at least one of the Hunters get a round of lead into that crazy sumbitch?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...get your self a weapon that wasn't designed by the communist's, and isn't being used around the world to kill Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Vang is Vietnamese, right? And the VC were Commies /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I always laugh when people call an SKS an assault rifle.

[​IMG]

Watch out! When I run out of bullets, I'm gonna bayonet you all to death!

If a person went nuts and wanted to kill a lot of people, an SKS is not what one would use. Too long, too heavy, much too low on ammo capacity.

Think more along the lines of Kalashnikov with a drum.

[​IMG]

Hey since we're talking about going nuts, why not an illegally converted full auto m16 with a beta?

BTW that guy is gonna get roasted.

13. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Vang was clearing in the wrong, he was tresspassing!

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Not all of them had guns

15. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Was the lawyer Feinstein ?

I'm using my AR-15 next weekend deer hunting...just found out 'Bama dropped the required ammo from .24 and larger to 'centerfire only'. Ordered a box of federal partioned that they recommend for deer and a 5 round magazine.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...get your self a weapon that wasn't designed by the communist's, and isn't being used around the world to kill Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Vang is Vietnamese, right? And the VC were Commies /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably why he was so good at killing people with it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course!
    TrcksR4ME, Larry is poking some fun at the conservative majority on the board when he says stuff like that. He's been hammered as a damn liberal, so he kinda calls people out on overusing that generalization... Larry (Landsmasher) is one of the few people I personally don't agree with in politics (I think I subconsciously avoid the subject with him /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif), but can still see myself enjoying his company if we were located geographically closer.

The guy was from Laos, but he's been in America for over 20 years, so I wouldn't call him dumb to American culture, nor unaware of concepts like not going around killing people that make fun of you.
    He was trespassing on 400 acres of private land, said he didn't see any signs and started leaving. When he was 100 feet away, he took the scope off his rifle, and started firing at the people watching him leave.
    I dunno, but in my mind, 100 feet is a good distance to get far enough away to be able to fire continuously at a group without any member of the group having time to approach and disarm you without you being able to shoot the approach-ee. Any closer or too close, when you're firing into unarmed people, one of them may have a chance at tackling you before you can sight and shoot them.

In his statement, he says he turned around and the ONE guy with a rifle was taking it off his shoulders and fired at him as he hit the dirt, and that's when he got ready to start firing back.
    In the police report, and this guy chsed down his victims; walked up to one guy who was injured and begging for help, and shot him, walked around the ATV one victim was hiding behind and shot him. He left the scene or hid as he heard help approach, then returned or emerged and resumed his attack after help had left.

In the police report, he says he didn't shoot at the men approaching on the ATV because they had guns with them. So the guy apparently was shooting at people he knew didn't have guns until later when another guy returning pointed a rifle at him.

His police interview is going to be extremely hard to patch into self-defense if you ask me. Even if he was provoked, he became the aggressor according to his own confession. I dunno about Wisconsin, but an unarmed guy running away doesn't warrant the use of deadly force in NY.
    Tack that onto prior domestic disturbance calls to his home where he threatened his wife with a pistol, and I think this guy's a good bet on going to prison.

As far as his hunting weapon, I consider that personal preference. I personally wouldn't hunt deer with an AR-15/M-16, but I've heard plenty of guys say it's their favorite hunting rifle, and I wouldn't argue with them on that.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Probably why he was so good at killing people with it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly, that's how you solve problems in the Laos/Hmong culture. Kill whoever happens to be the problem... Not that he should have that as a crutch in this case, he's been in America for over 20 years.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif People are dead, this has nothing to do with republican vs democrat....tired of every fawking thing be boiled down to liberal vs conservative these days, give me a break!

And though an SKS is legal for hunting, its a pretty cheasy POS to be using. Why would you need a semi-auto with 10 rds to hunt a dear? Get a Model 70 or Rem 700 if you want to hunt like a real hunter. Better yet, get a single shot and show how good you really are /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh, and if you want to be the Conservative Proud to be American, Buy American, etc etc type, get your self a weapon that wasn't designed by the communist's, and isn't being used around the world to kill Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well that makes sense then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah I had heard about the story previous to this and my opinion is that shooting someone in the back is never self defense...and it sounds like he had plenty of oppurtunity to "escape" from the situation even if he was antagonized (sp?) by the group that owned the property. Just seems pretty sick to solve an argument by killing another person or group of people in this case. And on the SKS, that gun was designed to kill people and cleary does it well. The typical hunting rifle with a scope would have not been nearly as effective. Just my additional 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif