Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vapor Canister Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stump_puller, Sep 6, 2003.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I am currently putting my truck back together and I need to know if I can elimnate the vapor canister. The only hose currently goin to it is the one that seems to go back to the gas tank. Can I just plug it off or what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks in advance,
    Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

P.S. By the way it is a '85 with a 350, performer rpm intake and an edlebrock 600cfm carb

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The other hose goes to vaccuum on the carb. If you don't have emissions tests then you can just leave everything how it is. </font>

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I removed mine, I'm gonna put a breather on the end of the gas tank line and it should be fine. My buddy kept going on about how I should remove it, that thing weighs like 5 pounds! I was like alright, pulled it out, it weighs like 1.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whatever you do, make sure you don't plug off the line that goes to the tank.

The vapor cannister is there for a reason. It allows your gas tank to "breathe" when the gas warms up throughout the day and starts to produce fumes. Fumes = pressure and when that pressure starts to build it needs somewhere to go. That's why most people run a vented gas cap, too.

If you eliminate the vapor cannister, just make sure that the pressure is still able to get out of your gas tank.

5. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Thanks, so I'll just extended the line up higher next to my axle breather hoses and put a small breather on it. Thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only problem I have with the breather is condensation in the tank.

I can't remember, do the gas caps allow air in, but not out, until internal tank pressure reaches the caps pressure rating?

Was thinking of using an axle breather myself, but since I don't plan on taking this tank back down for 100,000 miles, I don't want water building up in there.