Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Variation on the "Mog Axles" thread......Volvo Portals!! ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Variation on the \"Mog Axles\" thread......Volvo Portals!! ??

Any input on Volvo portal axles? I'd almost forgotten about Volvo as an option until I stumbled across a link yesterday.....

They seem more scarce, and the replacement parts might be harder to find, but the overall design looks similar to the 'Mogs. Final drive ratios are similar, selectable lockers are standard, and the portal gears appear to be straight-cut instead of helical cut....which MAY actually be an advantage over the Mog 404s?

The best part from what I can tell is that the front pumpkin is on the "Chevy side"....so I wouldn't have to sell off my Doubler and NP205 to buy the F*rd versions, like I would to make the Mogs work.

Anyone have links to Volvo axle sources? I can find technical docs, but so far only one place that actually imports and sells them.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Variation on the \"Mog Axles\" thread......Volvo Portals!! ??

straight cut gears seem to be an advantage. Don't know much else.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You sorta hit on my main concern for using either of those axles. If you bust a part that immobilizes your rig, and you're far from home, what do you do? It isn't like you can pop into any parts house, or even a junkyard, and get the parts to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif At least with GM stuff under your rig you can get parts just about anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Besides, once you get moved to New Hampshire and figure out how useless your truck is gonna be there, you'll sell it and be driving a rusted out Subaru 4WD wagon just like all the other people that live there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif You're moving to the land of no trails... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

it was either 4 Wheel & Off Road or Fourwheeler did an article a while ago where they put the Volvo portals in a Volvo wagon. The article had some good info...you might be able to dig it up.

5. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    You sorta hit on my main concern for using either of those axles. If you bust a part that immobilizes your rig, and you're far from home, what do you do? It isn't like you can pop into any parts house, or even a junkyard, and get the parts to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif At least with GM stuff under your rig you can get parts just about anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Besides, once you get moved to New Hampshire and figure out how useless your truck is gonna be there, you'll sell it and be driving a rusted out Subaru 4WD wagon just like all the other people that live there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif You're moving to the land of no trails... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?.....Moab's only a 4000 mile round trip! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

See you there (with my Mogs or Volvo portals) at BB 2005!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

A local group around me wer considering doing a volvo portal "group buy" but when I asked about it, they said they wouldn't hold up under my rig....? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Moab's only a 4000 mile round trip!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hahahahaahahahaaaaa!!! Wait until you see how much TIME it takes to escape the northeast! First you have to deal with insane traffic through NH, MA and CT, then you get to watch out for the PA troopers hiding behind every rock. (As you cross the state line into PA, they actually have huge signs on the side of the road that list the speeding fines, which are based on how much you're going over 55 MPH /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif ) And the last time I drove across I-80 on PA (as I moved OUT of MA on my way to CO!) the road was in such bad shape that I thought I was going to be losing suspension parts along the way.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Don't even THINK about speeding in Ohio, where the cops are well known for writing tickets for people driving 56 in a 55. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That trip to and from Moab will be the longest in your life... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

But at least you'll get to wheel in paradise for a couple of days on you new axles before starting the return leg of your journey, so you can put your rig back into storage for 11 months. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hmm, can ya tell how much I enjoyed living in that part of the country? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, can ya tell how much I enjoyed living in that part of the country? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah....I'm detecting a slight amount of hostility /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. HarryH3

And I left there 15 years ago, before it got crowded. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can see Harry speaks from experience about the state of traffic here in the northeast,and the road conditions too! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif--I noticed when I used "mapquest"to plot my trip to nashville that was cancelled they showed a new way to go there from my area--take the mass pike all the way thru new york into buffalo,keep going to cleveland,columbus and cinncinati ohio via rt 71,then rt 65 to TN--its only about 80 miles more than going the way I used too via Rt 84 thru CT,NY,PA,to RT 81 and rt 40--every trip I made through PA wa a nightmare--construction cones and barrels for hundreds of miles,bad potholes,and BIG deer waiting to jump in front of you at 65+mph in the breakdown lane! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.I dont know if the "new" way going through all those big cities is really any better--anyone here drive big rigs and know the truth?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif--mapquest says you can get there in 17.5 hours,I've never done it in less than 24 hours the other way,even going 80 like all the other vehicles.
    And dont despair Greg--there may not be many trails to wheel in NH--but I have a few friends up there who have a backyard the size of most of our state parks in my area!,and ME is right next door--and the roads up there can be just as challenging as trails can be,especially in the winter and the mud season!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif P.S. There was a place in foxboro ma(home of the Patriots)that specializes in big rig ang straight job parts,they had all kinds of unusual stuff like unimogs,old 4x4 fire trucks,backhoes and loaders,they mostly sell parts off them,a lot get shipped overseas,the name of the place was called "The Foot"--they went through some greif with the town due to zoning law problems and they went belly up,but I think they are still operating somewhere near there incognito--I'll ask around and see if the have any big volvo 4x4 trucks or axles for you!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

as for the portals Ive heard on pirate and such they not that strong and wont hold up in a fullsize just stick w/ a 406 mog

12. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    as for the portals Ive heard on pirate and such they not that strong and wont hold up in a fullsize just stick w/ a 406 mog

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure it's that simple.....406s are a lot heavier, parts are a lot more expensive too....and you HAVE to use 20" wheels to clear the brakes. Not really interested in those tradeoffs..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'm always cautious about advice from PBB. There seem to be a lot of guys saying that since it won't work with 49's and a BBC, that it won't work for anyone..... I think it's always wise to consider the "context" of where that advice is coming from. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    take the mass pike all the way thru new york into buffalo

[/ QUOTE ]
    Before you take that route, first check the rates on the New York portion of the trip. It's a toll road and they'll really stick it to ya if you have more than 4 tires on the ground. Having dual rear wheels, or a trailer in tow means that you get to leave a BIG stack-o-cash with them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I was thinking about going that way with a U-Haul truck that was towing a car on a dolly one time, until I found out that the toll would cost me something like $80! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I did my Purgatory in the Worcester/Marlboro area during the 80's. I worked for Digital Equipment Corp. there back in their heyday... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've lived all over the US, but I was never so happy to leave anyplace as when I left the MA state line in my rearview mirror. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg, I've read alot of stories on PBB about the volvo's not being that strong... They are rumored to be about 80% the strength of a 404. I would stick with the 404 or larger.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thaks for the info Harry--maybe "Mapquest" gets a kickback for all the clueless tourists they send to the toll roads?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif--And beleive me,when I leave here I wont be missing this state much either--I've watched it go from a really nice place to live to an ovepopulated minority dumping ground.Not to mention the weather sucks here about 9 months of the year lately.I was born in Fitchburg MA,not far from Worcester,had a few friends that worked at Digital too!.I wonder about the rest of the trip past buffalo--I'd think traffic would be a nightmare going through cincinati,columbus,and cleveland,but having never been here I cant say if its a good way to go or not. I would rather talk to a long haul trucker who has "been there and driven that"bfore I take any directions from the net sites. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Anthonviking

Anthonviking Registered Member