Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Various Questions on putting her back together....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Oct 24, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK...I've used the search funtion out my ying yang to get as far as I have at this point, And a HUGE THANKS to many of you who have taken the time to put step by step stuff in here for mechanical idiots like myself who gets lost working on cars. Ive printed out a ton of these today as I was working on her. But anyway, here I go:
    -Replaced power window motors, cables and etc...That actually works!! All 3
    -Power Door Locks... I can get the drivers door switch to operate the passenger door lock, but thats it.
    -Steering Column- I totally screwed this up...Its loose and the key cylinder slides out when you pull the key out...Ill try this again tonight.
    -Dash & Gauges & Lights- Serious Fuel Gauge problem, I think the sending unit might have gotten a little screwy or something, When I put it in it showed 3/4 tank of gas, but I'm just about empty. No Dash lights, but All my new gauges came with internal lights, and who needs a light for the speedometer anyway. All of my lights and running lights brakes and blinkers work till I turn on Hi-beams, then I lose tail lights. That ones got me cross-eyed.
    Carpet, Seats and Panels!!!I can actually sit in it again...Its now a ugly Burgandy Color, but wth...I happy!
    -Energy Suspension Body Mounts - I cant get half the damn bolts un-done, What I wouldn't give for a impct wrench!!!
    Thats where its at, other than the windshield....I've got the stuff to Install It, but have never tried or seen it done. I'll let you know how it works.
    One more thing...Ive tried anything I could find for the exterior....finaly made it thru the heavy soot, and been using a ton of polishing compound, the parts of the paint that did not flake off are still as dull and faded as can be. Any suggestions?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I am going to talk about one thing, the body mount bolts, don't expect the impact wrench to do any better if the bolts are frozen rusted.
    The only thing that worked with me was a thick breaker bar, I used the 3/4" thick bar, but I have seen good results with the 1/2".
    Basically the thicker you go the less flex in it there is = more force in the right spot.
    It took me about a day to replace them, and that is with 2 cans of rust eater.
    Good luck with the wiring and dash lights/ headlights. All electrical is very hard to diagnose online, you have to be there...
    This is a great site for information for the do it yourselfer, and I also say thank you to all who have posted detailed instructions on doing things in our GM trucks.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

all i can say is DO NOT USE AN IMPACT ON THE BODY MOUNTS!!! there is only 3 little tack welds holding those nuts in and an impact will snap them. i spent a week hosing down the bolts and nuts with a good penatrating spray and had no issues with mine.

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I wish I would have read this an hour ago...talk about salt on a open wound....Thanks but that came just a little late. Although I did not use a impact wrench....BE CAREFUL ON THE SIZE OF BREAKER BAR...Anyway....new body mounts are in....and some creative new bolt desinging with some uneeded drilling /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

"-Steering Column- I totally screwed this up...Its loose and the key cylinder slides out when you pull the key out...Ill try this again tonight."

There is a screw that hold the cylinder into the column. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I did this same thing when I had to replace the cylinder. My Dad just about lost it when I took the key out and the whole damn thing came out!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Later Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I was up till 4 this morning....Its a lot tighter....but I dont like the steering column at all /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Yea after I took mine apart it never went back together quite right! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think that I'm just going to buy a new one once I can find a good one @ pull and save!!! I think that the damn ring compressor from AutoZone bend the [censored] out of everything also, so that didn't help the process either!!!

Shane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fuel gauge:

Check the ground wire near the sender terminal. Without proper ground the gauge will be screwy...

Paint...scrub it good and blast it flat black or camo. Instant trail warrior/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wiring...you have my sympathy. I recently had to replace my entire under dash harness due to a meltdown (almost burned the truck down.../forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) I spent about 17 hours going through everything and 95% works again. I need to get my heater fan working and re-install my CB. I had a good un-molested harness from a parts Blazer though. It is intimidating but I laid it out on the carport floor and using my Chiltons identified each circuit and just took my time.

Rene

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I figured out the fuel gauge...I should no by now to check what I'm getting instead of assuming the parts counter guy is right...wrong gauge for my sending unit. Oh well. Its kinda funky. When you fill up the tank...the gauge shows half a tank. As you burn off gas, the gauge goes up to almost full, and by the time you got 1/2 a tank of gas left...the gauge starts falling. I kinda like it... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif