Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Various questions: tailights, CD player mounting positions, etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73BlazerT, Apr 11, 2002.

1. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

I'm sure most of you have seen project money pit where the guy basically hacked off most of his rear fenders and made room for tube work. I want to do something similar but not quite as extreme, I have access however to some rear fenders off of a 73 Chevy truck that are in decent shape, my question is how much different are they from Blazer fenders aside from the length? Since I can't save the shape of my original fenders these are the two options I have.

My other question is Iam considering mounting a new set of tail lights on a soon to be fabricated tailgate, my Dad however seems to think thats not legal, that they have to be visible from the side of te Blazer? I'm not sure, I know project money pit has them directly in the back of his, and he won't answer my e-mails.

Last but not least is I am debating a place to mount my CD player, I don't want to cut the dash all up so I am considering just making a wooden center console so it would be easy to place there along with any switches and stuff. Any ideas?

I'll show you some pictures soon as soon as I finish the top I made for my Blazer using 5 pieces of wood, a tarp, and a piece of plexiglass. :-) Had to eliminate some weight so what the hell, it actually doesn't look bad,and most 4x4 guys like ingenuity. haha

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've had "trailer" taillights mounted on my tailgate for a couple of years... Have yet to be hassled. .....but....

a couple of people have told me that they've been given some crap for not having side marker lights. I guess if the vehicle is viewed directly from the side at night, you couldn't tell if the lights are on or not.

I plan in buying some "stick on" reflectors at NAPA and putting them on the sides somewhere.

Marv

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the rules for the tailgate but, definately get the Tuffy Stereo Security Console. www.tuffyproducts.com

I have it and I love it. I left the stock radio in the dash and put a new JVC Cd player in the console. It fit like a glove and it protects my stereo from thieves. It is especially an important add-on for me because I run mine in my 74 Blazer.

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When I installed my CD player, I cut the dash using a small hacksaw and then bent the pieces back behind the dash instead of cutting all the metal out to make room for the CD player. This way if you want to re-intsall an old 2-knob radio all you have to do is bend the metal back into the original shape and spot weld it. Bending the metal back also provides some side support for the aftermarket radio because it made it a really snug fit.