Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vas, Fs, Qts, and Xmax?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Triaged, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Ok...I understand what all these are in concept. What I don't know is how they affect the sound. Like if I had 2 speakers with the same spec's but one had 8mm Xmax and one had 12mm Xmax and fed them the same RMS power how would they sound? Same with all the others (Vas, Fs, Qts)?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I don't really use the Theile-Small parameters to guess how the speakers are going to sound. They were designed to aid in box building. They do describe the "personality" of a speaker, but if you want to compare speakers...look at the voice coil diamter, magnet weight, sensitivity, power handling, etc and specs like that instead.
    Does that answer your question at all?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

I'm not sure how it relates to "real world" parameters, but XMAX combined with the surface area of the cone will tell you how MUCH air you will move at maximum excursion.

I know that a lot of the new subwoofer designs are using MASSIVE amounts of stroke on the sub to get maximum SPL for a given speaker diameter....case in point, the JL Audio W7 sub....I forget the XMAX value on that one, but it's off the charts compared to other speakers!

....not sure that it ALWAYS translates into a better sonic experience, but it should give you an idea of which speakers will have a bigger impact moving and pressurizing air for you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks again guys. I'll have a bunch more stupid questions...so don't you worry. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif