Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VDO Gauges - Pictures

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 14, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, let me tell you these things light up at night EXTEMELY well. I don't know how much you can tell from the picture... I LOVE my new gauges...

The speedometer is so easy to calibrate. Push a button (that is on the front of the speedometer) hold it down while starting the engine. Gauge will say 'autocl' in the LCD, release the button, go to mile marker, push button again and the LCD will read 'start' drive to next mile marker, push button again, and thats it...

This work with ALL trans...

As you can tell, I also have a tach in place of the factory tach... I had to purchase new sending units for the speedometer, temp, and oil pressure. I am waiting on new sending units (VDO) from Summit Racing... I will post part numbers and pricing when I have them all working.

This has a manual trans so I will fabricate in the service engine light, 4whl indicator, and brake indicator where the auto trans indicator would normally be...

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Looks cool, and clean. How did you mount them? What size?

Twiztid

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That looks kick ass! [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

4. solowookie

The 4" tach and speedometer mounted with no modifications to anything... The other gauges are 2 1/16" and I had to cut down the bevels form the back side to make them fit.

When I post later this week after I have the senders installed I will send pictures of the back so you can see how they mount. There is a LOT of dremel cutting, but it's not hard, you do NOT have to be exact, and it is really easy...

<font color=red> The pictures do not show up well, but I cannot stress enough how well these show up at night ... [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

that looks sweet!!

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

6. solowookie

thanks...

I will change this out to brushed alluminum eventually, but thats down the road a bit

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Pure Insanity

thats my plan,do away w/ the stock setup and put in an aluminum bezel,w/ autometer gauges.ill use mechanical gauges tho,dont trust sending units.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. solowookie

They have mechanical gauges too...

I was looking at the autometer, but there were 2 things that I liked better about the VDO, and you could mix and match.

Both things I liked better actually had to do with the speedometer; 1) it is so easy to program 2) all other companies seem to only have 160 MPH in 4" gauges... VDO had a 120 in 4". I don't need anyting to actually read faster then about 90... I don't drive much over 75, but it's nice to have a little cushion.

Jeff

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Pure Insanity

well the thing i like most about the autometers is the 5"speedo&tach,and the 25/8"others.i like the BIG face.just my preference.i thot about VDO,they have a very good reputation for being accurate and lasting,i just like the a/m.guess its the dragracer still in me.

PURE INSANITY

10. solowookie

Have you seen any one else running 5" gauges? I'm pretty sure they'd fit pretty good if the bezels were trimmed like I had to trim for the small gauges, but you'd probably loose the slanted effect...

Looking at your rig though I'm sure you've figured out a way to fabricate that in... [​IMG]

I like your rig... I'll be happy when mine gets looking that good... [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Pure Insanity

thanx wookie.ive seen the 5"&25/8 done they look good.the guy bought a hi$$$ billit dash and put em in.ill just use flat alum. sheet and bend it in a break.and position the gauges where i want.the prolites will be on the windsheild post.(well actually the cage but thats not in yet)if theres anything i cant fab up i have a friend who can.got a guy for the cage,guy for the break to bend the alum......you get the idea.[​IMG]most all i can do i just dont have the hi $$$$ toys,like tube bender etc.BTW the best view of my blazer is parked in my driveway(just got it home today!!!!!)i feel so much better now w/ a big truck in the driveway again.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pureinsanity on 04/14/01 09:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

that looks very bad ass!! One ? though... does anyone know if the cruise would still work? I am looking forward to your next post with part#'s....once agian <font color=red>KICK ASS</font color=red>

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

13. solowookie

I HATE when my truck is in the shop... It is always nice to have it back...

That just means I'll have to buy another one to restore so I can have 2... Then if ones in the shop it won't by a problem... [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. solowookie

you know, I have a cruise, but I've never used it... I'll tell ya what though, tomorrow I'll try it so that I can let you know...

the only problem with this theory is I have no idea if the cruise works in the first place... [​IMG] but I guess if it works in the first place AND works now then question could be answered that way [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Sweet! I like It! Please let me know when you have all of the install info up or email it to me. I am doing the same install soon. Also..with the electric gauges did you HAVE to replace the sending units? Or could you have used the stock wires? And for the fuel gauge did you have to use the vdo sending unit...let me know...again sweet!
    Brent

16. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you're aware, but there is a simpler way for the alum look. Dakota Digital (www.dakotadigital.com) sells an alum overlay for the blazer gauge bezel. Check it out. It's only $95 and fits around all the existing holes.

17. solowookie

The sending units had to be replaced for the speedometer, the oil pressure, and the temperature... You can use the stock wires though.

There is a VDO gauge that will use the stock sending unit for the fuel.

Also, I took a picture that I took today about the back showing how this stuff was wired and installed...

[​IMG]

I love the fact that there is an individual light in the back of each gauge and 2 in the back of the big ones... They really light up awesome!! Did I mention that the gauges light up <font color=red>really</font color=red> well! [​IMG]

I will post all this again with part numbers and cost etc. as soon as I get the new sending units for the temp and oil pressure installed...

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. solowookie

That is a good idea... However, my bezels are pretty hammered so I will probably spring for the new ones...

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Looks Sweet

[​IMG] '89 350TBI

20. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I got one of the VDO tachs that you mount anyplace. I was playing around with the lighting by using an RC battery as the power/ground. MAN, the thing lights up great! I can only imagine how well you can see those gauges at night. VDO really does a good job for a reasonable price. Just my .02.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    If it ain't leaking oil, it ain't my truck![​IMG]