Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VDO Gauges

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bassplayer4x4, Feb 22, 2002.

1. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

Just had to post this even though it shows what a dumbass I am -- just replaced my guages with a full bezel of new VDO guages, most everything works -- speedo is a little flaky starting off and slowing down, seems to jump around alot, but settles down once my speed gets constant -- I am guessing the cable -- any thoughts?

Anyway, that is not why I am posting or laughing my ass off, I noticed today that my gas gauge seemed to be reading a little fuller, I didn't notice until I ran out of gas on the road side that my guage read FULL -- note to self make sure wires are replaced in the CORRECT order not reversed. Luckily 4barrel Holley's don't get too pissed off when they are run dry.

But one question, my temp gauges are not reading at all, course they weren't before either, any thoughts? Sending unit? Maybe?

Phillip Bunton 72 K5 and 4Strings

But honey its cheaper than car payments!!

72 K5 - my First First Gen -- 4 K5's to date...

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Check the senders with an ohm meter. If they check out, plug the wires back into them and check them again at the connection to each gauge. If that checks out, make sure you're getting voltage to each gauge and that their grounds are good. If all checks out, you have bad gauges.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Yes try your speedo cable. I think someone one time said take it apart and clean it real good and lube it with graphite???? is that right..or maybe it was silicon lube

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

4. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Would you be so kind to post the VDO Gauge models that you used. Finally have my 71 back on the road, and time to start on the other stuff. Any help will be appreciated.

71 Jimmy...Everything underneath is NEW (finally) w/ 350TBI & 700R4....

5. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

sorry it took so long to get back with you. This board has been flaky on me posting been down alot. I got the VDO's and the dash bezel as one package its a polished aluminum with the guages already installed. Its VDO's basic black guages and they are not located in their "stock" positions, although they are pretty close. I had the guy my mechanic suggested for electrical stuff put it together for me. I will check with him on specific model guages...

Phillip Bunton 72 K5 and 4Strings

But honey its cheaper than car payments!!
    72 K5 - my First First Gen -- 4 K5's to date...