Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vechile/Portable Generator Storage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kick, Mar 17, 2005.

1. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

When storing a vehicle/portable generator is it best to;

1 - Drain all fuel ?

2 - Add Fuel Stabilizer and run motor monthly ?

I'm thinking draining the fuel would cause the gaskets/seals to crack ? Now that hurricane season is over I'll be putting the generator into mothballs. My project car will have to sit for awhile also. Gas goes bad pretty fast here in FL.

Any ideas ?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, i think there may be a difference between gas and deisel, so the generator might need to be treated differently.

All i can say is that when you winterize a boat for the winter, you always leave the tank full and add stabilizer. Keeping the tank full greatly reduces the condensation that will form in teh tank - which eventually waters down the gas i think.

3. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

We keep all of our saws full at our firehouse because of the gaskets cracking when stored dry. Even with running them once a week they were cracking. We havent had a problem since theyre wet. Stabilizer will help even more.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't have a generator, but I keep my mower full all winter to stop condensation, gasket drying and rust. They don't hold that much gas, so I just drain it before use. I don't know how much your generator holds, but even at $2/gallon it shouldn't be that expensive for the protection.