Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vehicle lift laws in Texas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BI U JIMMY, Sep 2, 2001.

1. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

I am seriously considering applying for a job in the Dallas area and am wondering what lift laws and emission laws the great state of Texas has. I have a 78 Jimmy with a six inch lift and 35" and am wondering if I will have problems with this. Another note there is no smog stuff on the engine at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

i have never heard of any lift laws here but in houston the emmission laws are pretty hard to get by. I don't have any emmisions either here you have to pay somebody alot to let you slip by if you know what i mean

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

6in of lift? Bah That aint no thang.
    Your headlights cannot be more than 55" above the ground. So bassically you can have aournd 13" of lift w/ 44" tires. The cops haven't given anyone down here in south texas any trouble. one guy has a 12" susp and 3 " body and 44 boggers. The boggers stick out alot too and he has not flares or anything. To my knowledge cops never give him any trouble.

87 k5, 6in, 35" BFG muds.
    Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

4. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

The lift law for Texas is 54inches on head lights, 72inches on tail lights . Dallas does require emmision tests. I dont remember how far back they test.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.. [​IMG]

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ohh as for emmision you have a 78 so i think you are exempt. If not bassically you just need like a cat conv, a muffler, and no holes or sawed off areas of your exhuast. Umm It's not real strict like Cali or anything.

87 k5, 6in, 35" BFG muds.
    Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

6. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

as far as lift your fine i live el paso tx and the emissions are no big deal if your truck is 25 years old or older all you need to pass is saftey like blinkers,wipers,horn,ect.

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have lived in the Dallas area for 25 yrs......in Dallas Co, your 78 is emissions exempt....didn't have cats from the factory....my 79 was emissions exempt, and even tho it came factory with a cat, it passed with Headers and duals and no cat.....in Collin Co...(Plano, Allen, McKinney).. there is no emissions test until next May......your 6" lift is a non-issue....just wait til ya see what we've got runnin' the streets around here.......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

There is visible emissions testing in Collin County. But that varies based on year. For my 85 I have to have the enclosed air filter with AIR, cat, smog pump, and crap like that. But, even if you live in Dallas, Houston, or the other major metro areas, there are cheaper alternatives. Counties with major cities have pretty tight emissions. Just drive to some podunk town outside the immediate (and maybe the adjacent) counties. And there are a lot of those in Texas. The major emissions testing is only done in certain counties.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

9. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

Thanks for the info!! I just may go for that job afterall.

10. There was a safety inspection in the area I lived in at Fort Hood, TX and the only "lift law" I was aware of when I had my burb sitting on 44's was a headlight height, I ended up lowering them below the bumper to make to A holes happy.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Re: Vehicle lift laws in Texas *DELETED*

Post deleted by White Knight

12. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Hey Big B...whatz up...WK

13. Same ole Same Ole !!! Just continuing to be a bum after 4 days off from work !! My favorite parts of being in the military is the days off !

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

No lift laws I know of, I live in Richardson, in Dallas county, but there are parts of it in Collin. We have a more extensive inspection than Collin Co does, but I've never had a problem passing it.

90K5

15. pregate

pregate Registered Member

there are lift laws, but they pretty much dont matter..

as for emission, the state tests as far back as 25 years, and after that it is only a visual inspection.. not actual testing..
    the rules are, if you apply 6.0%/600ppm for a blazer..
    if your truck came with a cat, it has to have it..

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

With a '78 k-5 if it came with a 400 Small block they came without CAT's and other emision equipment was not on these vehicals..

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    When I lived in Texas, they had what they called a Saftie sticker, they checked brakes,lights,windshilde....ect,
    and there books said that all O.E.M. equipment that came on the vehicle(1977 Blazer) must be present today.
    Guess what they said, in 1977 a Blazer came with a Carb, will I had a Holley Pro-Jection, and they would
    not pass it and give me a Saftie sticker.
    YRWV