Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vehicle lifts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Sep 15, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of planning a shop that I will hopefully get built this fall. I'd like to have a lift. The ones I'm thinking about mount above the floor (no cylinder down in the floor or anything) and I think some have two posts while others have four. I have heard that there are some foreign brands that should be avoided. Anyone have one of these? Anyone know of some good brands to look into. Obviously if I'm gonna walk under a 5K lb. truck I want the lift to hold it :crazy: .

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Not to short this board any, there have been several in depth discussions on lifts over on Pirate over the last year. I have learned a lot.
    Jimbo

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

http://www.mohawklifts.com/

Best lifts in the world. Designed and made right near me in upstate by my good friends dads company. My friend is also an installer and service guy.

Check out their comparisons to other manufacturers materials and construction...Mohawks are tanks. I'm looking for a used one locally myself for my new shop. ;)

4. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

5K seems light... My '91 V2500 'Burb weighs 6100 w/a full tank of gas.

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

What, no special "friends and family" discount? j/k
    Jimbo

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

I know...I dont think I could afford a new one even with help. My buddy would go through a used one for me and install for nothin' though...the reality is I can barely afford to finish the shop, its gonna be jack stands for a few years untill things stabilize $$$.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

me too...

I exhausted my bank account just building my garage too,and not enough dough left to buy a lift like I'd hoped..I've kept my eyes open for a decent used one,but only one I saw for less than 1500 bucks was a "Rotary" brand one at a junkyard,that the owners decided to not use after they bought it..its still lying there in a heap,and the cylinders pistons are all pitted and rusted now..:( ..must be nice to be able to buy something,and just let it sit and rot!.:mad:

When my friends tire/repair shop he was renting was sold,the new owner ripped out all the old lifts,and sold them for 100 bucks each..one was a crappy "mid rise" lift I considered useless,unless you liked making bananas out of driveshafts,and it was no good for muffler or tranny repair..the other two were in working condition,but were old,and had some "repairs" done -

-one was a "FIAP" italian one,that used an electric motor,with 2 acme threaded rod "worms"and a brass nut on each tower to lift the vehicle,and a Harley motorcycle chain across the floor plates to lift the vehicle,not hydraulics!..its brass nuts had to be replaced,(had to be custom made at a machine shop for 400 bucks!)and it was only rated for 6000 lbs,which I felt wasn't enough for the trucks I'd be putting on it,especially where it had been "rebuilt"..I'd not waste my $$$ on something rinky-dink like that one!..it'd be fine for todays FWD cars,but not full sized pickups.

The one I should have gotten was a open center table type drive on alignment lift,that used a sliding air jack on rollers to lift the wheels off the ramps--it had an alignment machine and turntables that went with it too..but it was rusty in places,some of the lift beams needed patches welded on them,due to salt dripping off cars in the winter..but it was plenty good enough for my needs,11,000 lb rating!--but someone else beat me to it...:mad: (and I think the guy never installed it,and its still sitting outside!):(

I'm still tempted to get a lift someday,but until I have the cash,its a fantasy for now,unless I stumble across a "deal" for cheep money..as I get older,my desire to fix trucks is waning..so I might just have to keep "borrowing" the one at my friends "new" shop when he's not using it if I really need one..

I see lots of "homeowner" type lifts in catalogs like Northern Tool,for about 1800 bucks..but when I read the disclaimer "not reccomended for daily bussiness use",that tells me its probably a peice of china crap that the hydraulics and motor on it are cheesy,and wont last long if you raise and lower it often!..I think a decent used one is better than those..--right now I'd settle for one of the big "ramps" the local new car dealers use for display purposes--one of those with a winch to pull up "dead" vehicles is all I'd really need!..:crazy:

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Napa carries a good selection for pretty reasonable prices

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have seem some lifts that basically "scissor" up and only lift the vehicle 3 ft. or so for around $1500. I'm not interested in one of these at all. I'd like one that will lift a vehicle high enough to walk under. I was thinking that I saw some of those for around $1500 but the only ones I have found are $3k or so and up.

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats about right . you really get what you pay for and it will last you for a life time

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

our shop is all rotarys. (4) 2 post 10k lifts. (1) 12k 2 post lift. (1) 12k 4 post drive on alinment. (1) 15k 2 post big sucker. all work great.

make sure before you get concreat floor you spec out the thickness needed and other things like if heated floors no tubes in the area so when you drill the holes you dont hit one.