Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vehicle Registration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MyK-5, Sep 6, 2000.

1. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

Ok her is my story. I own a 1981 K-5 Blazer and I live in Arizona. The registration is up this month. I got the renewly thing in the mail today. As I was looking at it I noticed that it said "No emissions test required" > But The truck is an 81 didnt they requie emmissions tests arter 67. I am thinking that if they dont catch it screw them. thier loss, my gain, right. Has any one ever heard of this, and what do you think I should do? Thank for any insight.

Charley

81 Beater

2. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In California it's every other year. And everything 73 or older is exempt. That's another reason I got a 73. Screw the man.

73 Topless Blazer

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I have heard that some states are no longer requiring emissions tests if your vehicle is over a certain age. I don't know what it is in Arizona though. I have heard as little as ten years in some states but I'm not sure.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Emissions tests vary from state to state and even differ from county to county. The standard they generally use is vehicles built prior to 1973 would be exempt as there were no evaporative emissions controls of any type on those.
    They may test for tune and carb adjustments, however. All vehicles built after 73 would get the full treatment. They can and do check to determine the age of engine too. If you have a 70 k-5 with a 90 engine you'll be subject to similar protocols as someone with a 90 k-5. I'd keep quiet. If they have their way though....We'll have to scrap the ol' k-5 in favor of a bicycle.

"who dares wins"

5. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

Many vehicles in AZ now are only required every other year. Unfortunately, my 76 still has to go every year, although the tests for it are less stringent than for your newer, pollution-controlled truck. Rest assured, they will get you next year!

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

6. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

The way some states run the emissions tests is the odd numbered year vehicles get tested on odd years, and the even year vehicles on even years. Be prepared for it to come due next year. But states differ from others.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

We dont have to take them[​IMG], yet. Next year you can "volunteer" to take one though.

[​IMG] !!!! [​IMG]

8. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

They got rid of the emissions testing here in Minnesota last year.

9. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

me and my buds do this all the time, it works. In new york when you register your truck at the DMV, tell the government worker your k-5 has a diesel engine, the worker will check in the computer to see if that type of vehicle came with it from the factory. For a k-5 you'll have a C or a J depending on the year. They never compare it to your vin, only if it was an option for your model...then wala you get a nice saftey only reggy and a saftey only inspection certificate for ten bucks. (obviously you can't get away with this for a vette.) I did this on a suburban with a madass 468 and Im currently running a pretty radical small block In my k-5 now and I never even see the sniffer!! or you can make your own emmission stickers with a laser printer...but thats another story...PS. anyone who wants the comprehensive diesel to gas swap info, let me know.

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

JimmyDie,
    Those emission stickers should be available from the dealer. I wanted to avoid the $300 smog impact fee for out-of-state vehicles on my brother's car, so I just went to the dealer and told them that the car was an original CA car but I had it painted and I wanted to replace the old one. $4.00 later, saved him $300 at the DMV.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

hey JimmyDie6.2 do you know if that works in Texas? My friend just got a '86 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with no cat and some glasspacks. The inspection was due a few days ago and it wont pass. I also thought about going to a junkyard and getting a sticker off the windshield of a car that got inspected recently.

90K5