Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vehicle Security

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShinnyHelmet, Nov 4, 2001.

1. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

I have a 71K5 and need to add more security to the blazer. I have wheel locks and the "Grant Security System", but need something for the hood and anything that may make the blazer unstealable. Anybody have any idea's?

2. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

S.H., alarms are always good. also maybe a fuel shut off on it. and an ignition kill of some sort. and as many will tell you a big dog is the best security. later.........tmanofcali

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Get a one pint metal paint can. Drill and tap the lid so a spark plug can fit into it. Put about half a pint of jet fuel in it. Make sure the lid is sealed good and tight with a rubber hammer. Run a long spark plug wire from the dist cap through the fire wall and hook it to the plug in the can lid. Put the can under the drivers seat making sure it is touching metal so it gets a good ground. [​IMG]
    Naw, wait a minute, don't do that. A second ignition switch in an undisclosed place is an okay way. If you don't have a locking steering column anything you do is just about fruitless. I think a removable steering wheel is kind of cool, but difficult to explain carrying it around inside of a finer restaurant. A fuel shut off will work for a few minutes and maybe bide you some time to catch them.
    The problem is with these older Blazers they are so easy to steal. If you have a locking steering column always park it nose in with the wheels turned fully in one direction, makes it hard to tow from the rear. Also a small pad lock through the steering knuckle works too. As far as locking the hood, you can do that but why? A thief does not have to open the hood to steal it. It will either be "hot wired" at the key switch or the starter itself. If you put a power cut off switch in line with your positive cable routed somewhere out of the way so you did not have power to your starter then lock the hood that would be a good idea. The only thing is you loose the presets on your stereo. [​IMG]

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing>http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing</a>

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Having been a locksmith's apprentice for about 30 years in my off time, I can tell you that there is nothing that is unstealable unless it's welded to the ground and covered in concrete (but anyone with a jackhammer and a cutting torch can still steal it). All you can do is make the vehicle less attractive to thieves and/or easier to recover.

Forget about hidden ignition switches, because that's one of the things thieves look for first. A nifty (and sneaky) way of disabling the ignition system is to hook a wire up to the negative side of the coil (or the TACH terminal on an HEI). Route this wire into the interior and put a 1/4" fast-on connector on it. Screw a 1/4" fast-on tab to some point under the dash. When you leave the truck, plug the wire into the tab and the ignition system will not work because the negative side of the coil will always be gounded (looks like the points are always closed to the coil). Thieves look for stuff that's been disconnected and/or has a switch in it, not for stuff that looks like it's part of the stereo ground system (route the wire in with the stereo wires).

Another idea is to get one of those Lojack setups where the cops can instantly track your vehicle should it get stolen. At least you'll get it back.

5. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Has anyone hear used lojack? Its somthing I have been thinking of. Would like some input on that good or bad.

Thanks Lico

6. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I design custom alarm systems, anything is possible. theres only 2 factors in alarms, time and money. shock sensor, motion radar, remote engine kill from a cell phone? pm me if you want more info.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's