Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Velvet Ride shackels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tori89k5, Apr 12, 2001.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey, anyone out here have any experience with the "Velvet Ride" rear shackles that you can get aftermarket, like at NAPA. They are a rubber mounted shackle of some sort. Let me know if any of you have any experience with these. They cost about $140 for a set. Hate to waste the $ if they suck....

Bone stock '89 K5..... so far anyway....

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Drop a private message to AZBLAZER, Doug had them on his '79 K5, said they made a big difference on both articulation and ride quality. That is the way I am going, instead of a shackle flip I am going 4" rear springs with the Velvet Rides.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have some I got from Blazen91 and put on my 3/4 ton pull vehicle. All I can say is WOW they completely took out that bone jarring jolt I used to have when hitting a pot hole. I give them two thumbs up.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have some I got from Blazen91 and put on my 3/4 ton pull vehicle. All I can say is WOW they completely took out that bone jarring jolt I used to have when hitting a pot hole. I give them two thumbs up. Only thing is they are longer than my originals and it did squat the rear about 3/4".

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

What is the diff. between ORD's and Velvet Ride? Not to familiar with the Velvet Ride. Pros and cons?? Why would I want one vs. the other?

6. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

If anyone wants to see them they are at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.velvet-ride.com>http://www.velvet-ride.com</A> I don't know about losing almost an inch of lift though..

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

You know, my plans I think are the following... BDS 5 1/2" on rear with velvet shackles, front BDS 4" with ORD's front shackles... All in all is should leave about 1/4" higher in the rear...

Does this sound practical and managable?

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The ORD looks like a stock shackle installed upside down. It is designed to lift your truck. The Velvet is like a stock shackle with rubber parts to cushion rough rides. It's not designed to lift the truck and you cannot flip it.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That is true, the velvet ride's eliminate the possibility of a flip. I spoke with their tech supt yesterday to see if they made a compression model (normal Chevy is tension) which could be used. The answer was no. Also, depending on the weight of the vehicle, it can actually lower the back by 3/4 (at best) to 3"(!!!!!). Frankly, I think that is bad design. If they know this, why not design it to be a drop in replacement without changing the ride height? So, you gotta buy a lift with more arch == stiffer springs so that you can install a shackle that is supposed to soften the ride?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We might want to get the input of someone who really knows - and ran them. AZBLAZER, are you out there..............? Doug ran them for 2 years and loved them, and never said a word about a saggy rear end with these shackles. I know what the website said about the 3" rearend drop on some models, but let's hope Doug can give his real-world input.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

11. solowookie

ok AZBLAZER, info would be greatly appreciated...

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. BadDog

I don't know for sure since, as you point out, I have never run them. However, their own tech guy told me that most trucks will drop "at least 3/4 inch" and that Subs or trucks with campers often drop 2-3". Obviously someone who has run them would be ideal to talk to but when the people making and selling them admit openly to a serious problem, I tend to believe it. What I don't believe is when people start with "it's perfect" lines. I’m also looking forward to what AZBlazer has to say since they might be nice on my Ram even though I can’t run them on my K30 (eventually to have a flip).

Bad Dog

13. solowookie

yea... well it kind of sounds like if you're not doing any towing or anything to load the springs much then they would be great... which actually will probably count me out unless I buy a truck to restore too... [​IMG] (future project after my K5) [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

When they were on the Blazer before selling them to BUTCH, I had about an inch of saggy butt!! You could get a ORD 1" add-a-leaf and fix that. I didn't notice much of a ride difference after taking them out. With such a short wheel base, I think they will always ride like a truck. Over all I had no complants about the product. I just didn't want the saggy butt(this was before the 1" add-a-leaf came out) and plan on a shackle flip.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

15. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I run the velvet rides on my 83 1 ton. I lost about 1/2" of lift when I installed them. The height loss is due to the shackle design. I'm not sure that it would be possible to make the shackle any shorter. I've had this setup for almost a year and there has not been any change in height. I stuff over 4,000 LBS in the bed on a fairly regular basis and the shackles have not had any negative effect to hauling or to trailering 8,500Lbs. On the plus side they make driving this truck everyday feasable. The tail no longer hops over washboards and it really smoothed out other road bumps. I would recomend them to anyone with a HD suspension. I'm not sure it would be worthwhile on a 1/2 ton.

16. solowookie

Hey thanks for the info...

Now the tuff question, would it be worth going to a taller rear leaf spring to be able to run the velvet shackle?

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

This is going to be a personal preference issue. I've not installed the velvet rides on my wife's Blazer because I don't think that it rides poorly. They would probably help on washboards alot and some on the rest. Is it worth $150 but the spring changes?????/

18. solowookie

Well, living in Wyoming and I drive a LOT of dirt roads with wash boards... Maybe I'll do the shackle flip first, and if I don't like it then I'll do and add a leaf w/ the velvet ride's...

I'm not concerned about the $150.00 if it rides like I want it too, but first things first. That would be a luxury I think...

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Good Luck on your project. I hope that things work out for ya.

Mike

20. BadDog

Just keep your old spring mounts when you do the flip. You will have to put the stock ones back on (or make/find some like them) before you put the velvet rides on. I'm sure you know that but just wanted to throw that in to make sure for future reference. Good luck.

Bad Dog