Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vendor posing as member to get business

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, May 13, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

So on this other board I frequent there was a guy posing as a member offering a group buy and a discount. One of the guys on the board got suspicious, checked out his name, IP address and so forth. The guy runs a website selling parts a was targeting several motorcycle forums posing as just another member. Now he has been found out and has filed a complaint with the forums Internet provider, has a lawyer and is threatening to have the site shut down. It's 14 pages so far. Check it out
    http://www.klr650.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9381

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The link puts you into a registration page. What forum is it in and what is the thread title?

3. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Nothing's going to happen. I can't check out the thread, because I didn't register, but I run another forum, and can't tell you how many times this happens. IP addresses, and any tracking that leads to a phone number, address, any other contact information, is public knowledge. Unless the owner of the site threatened them, there's really not much he can do but continue to go along in life like an asshat. :D

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Apparently the complaints to the ISP has resulted in not being able to view the site unless you register now.
    Nobody was threatened. The got got pissed first cause the admin wouldn't delete his posts after he was found out. It's setup that you can't delete anything after someone replies. The guy apparently works for the NSA and has been conducting his business from his government computer. Someone from the site emailed the NSA admin and let them know what this guy was doing. then he got a lawyer involved

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Can't even register now...

Rene

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

That is better than watching tv!!! I am a member there and have been following it the whole time. I saw nothing that could possibly constitute a lawsuit. He is just wasting his and Glenn's money and time. After he got called out he just should have left, forgotten about it, and remained anonymous. What a jerka$$

7. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

What a moron. I was going to mention, slap him back by calling the IRS, but it sounds like he'll have enough trouble already.