Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vendors that charge more than they quoted

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got a telephone quote to have 3 cast iron radiators (for steam heat in my house) sandblasted for $85 total, then if I wanted, primed and painted for $30 each. I gave them dimensions of 2.5'x2.5'x6" for each unit for the quote over the phone.

I took out the units over the weekend, and it turns out they're all 2.5' high, 6 inches wide, but 1 is 2.5' long, another's 1 foot, and another's 1.5', and since I was gaining 2.5' feet on the quote, I threw in the little one form the bathroom that I may or may not use, which is 2.5' high, 2 or 3" wide, and 1.5' long.
    I haven't been able to take them down to the place, so yesterday, while home sick, I loaded them on my dad's trailer and brought it over to his house, and he took them this morning on his way to work.
    So when he gets there, the guy quotes him $80 for one, $40 for another, and $20 for another, and couldn't quote paint and priming right then. WTF???? I got quoted $85 for the whole sandblasting job over the phone for LARGER units!!!

Normally, I'd say whatever, pick up my items and leave without getting the work done, I hate BS tactics like that and won't deal with a shop that pulls them if I can avoid it. But these things are like 90lbs-160lbs each (the guy knew what he was getting, that shouldn't have changed when he saw them)! Not easy to just toss back on the trailer, not to mention my dad told him to go ahead and do the work without calling me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyway, I'm just gearing up for my call to the guy tomorrow. Very annoyed, and I probably won't have the cash to pay this guy if he doesn't go back to his original quote. I'm kinda freakin, too, cause I forgot to cap the brass fittings... Hopefully he didn't start blasting them and not cover that...

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats garbage, seems like its happing alot more lateley /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not that anyone's interested... I politely called them yesterday and explained that I only brought the radiators to them because of the quote, there are another 20 sandblasters I didn't even bother calling because I was happy with the quote. I got the woman who gave me the quote who said she would take care of it, musta been a misunderstanding.
    She just called me back to tell me they are in fact going to charge me double what they quoted me, and the work has already been done. "There was a problem, one of them was rustier than expected".
    It had surface rust from sitting outside, wrapped up, after I stripped the paint. You know, kinda like every piece of unpainted/oxidized cast iron I've ever seen in my life. The other ones had at least 3 layers of lead paint on them, which I'd think would cost more (thinking sand filtering/recycling).
    Had I known the price was effected by BS, I'd have sent them a roll of TP to wipe thier mouth after the quote.

WTF??? How many people bring down stuff to be blasted that just has a little finish trouble?? BS to me, but unfortunately, I can't even get there to pick them up without a day off, so I can't argue with them when I have my dad pick them up for me.
    I shoulda told her they will not be getting my business for the other 5 or 6 I have to have done, 1 of which is a mammoth worth probably a couple hundred alone. Shoot, always think of the best stuff after I hang up.

And with my frigging luck on this project, they'll be too oxidized by the time I can paint them.

Anyone ever go to the car wash and have them say they have to charge you more because you have a lot of dirt on your truck?

Just wanted to vent, I feel "taken" by a con man. They know I work in the city and can't get there, so I'm sure they think I'm some high paid oblivious executive that will just accept the rust line. This on the heels of some GREAT other news.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update. Sorry it worked out so poorly. I had a similar experience to yours. It is not a pleasant situation.

Good luck with the future blasting.. Hopefully the next company will be better. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear you had a bad experiance, it seems like it should have been a cut/dry quote. Its not like you got quoted $20 to look at em, with a detailed work estimate to be provided later after inspection /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif don't know why you'd need that to get a chunk of metal blasted...I'd be /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif too.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

sorry to hear,bro. why do people think they can do what they want after a quote?just remember what goes around comes around.they will get thiers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

They should've stood behind their original quote. I had a guy quote me such and such a price for a set of shocks. Turns out he quoted me 20 bucks to low when I went to pick them up. He's a good guy so I know it was an honest mistake so I offered to pay the difference but he said no, pulled 20 bucks out of his pocket to make up the difference. That's how one should do business not how those jerk-offs are treatin you.